Two thingies

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Two thingies

Postby gstark on Tue May 16, 2006 7:54 pm

First of all, a big thank you to byrt_001 for his suggestion that we have a Post Processing section in the forums. I think it's a great suggestion, and wonder why we didn't think of this before.

Regardless, I've just added it, and you may now direct your Photoshop questions into this section. As we come across older posts that should belong in there, we'll move them. And if you see any that you think belong in there, please feel free to PM one of the mods.

The second thingie is that some of you persist in posting images that are larger than our guidelines suggest, and/or continue to post too many images into the one post or thread. This behaviour bothers the moderation team for a number of reasons, mostly related to the viewing comfort of all of our members here.

It's been suggested that we change what are currently guidelines so that they become rules. I'm reluctant to do that because the current situation permits you some flexibility where warranted.

But please understand that posting beyond the stated guidelines may require some form of justification. Technique demonstrations are pretty much always self-evident.

So, to be totally clear, up to three or four images per post /thread is fine, and on any image, the longest dimension should not exceed 800 pixels, regardless of whether it's height or width.

And a link to your gallery site where more images from any event may be viewed is more than welcome, provided of course that this is not your blatant commercial webspace.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Tue May 16, 2006 8:52 pm

Gary, I am a complete novice when it comes to the inner workings of websites, but some sites that I've come across will automatically change the size of a photo to their maximum allowable and others will refuse to load one which is too big. Is this something that you could consider implementing?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Tue May 16, 2006 9:07 pm

Phillip,

Are you asking about an internal/dslrusers gallery system? It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibilty, but the logistics of this - especially those of user logins etc, and making them compatible with your login here - are amongst the primary issues that I need to consider.

But equally, every ISP provides its users with some webspace, and it takes very little skill to place files into a directory off that website, at whatever size you wish, and to then reference those files from within ytour post.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Tue May 16, 2006 9:19 pm

Yes, you're right, the sites I'm talking about are gallery type. I use photobucket and they have their enforced restrictions on size, that's why I never have a problem here. If they're small enough to upload there, then they are within our guidelines.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby byrt_001 on Wed May 17, 2006 12:28 am

hi phillip

but...may i ask you do you ussualy post your images without processing them? i mean if you are ussing photoshot or any other program to convert then to jpg then it is very easy to resize them at the same time?

let me know if you need any help.

christian
check my website>> http://www.6701.sunpixs.com
byrt_001

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed May 17, 2006 12:32 am

Christian,

I think phillip had in mind a system that would prevent repeat offenders that didn't follow the image posting guidelines, rather then an inability to resize his own photos.

But I could be wrong :lol:
Alpha_7

Re: Two thingies

Postby byrt_001 on Wed May 17, 2006 1:34 am

gstark wrote:First of all, a big thank you to byrt_001 for his suggestion that we have a Post Processing section in the forums. I think it's a great suggestion, and wonder why we didn't think of this before.

your welcome

christian
check my website>> http://www.6701.sunpixs.com
byrt_001

Postby barry on Wed May 17, 2006 9:28 am

I agree with Alpha7. The abusers of the guidelines should be penalised, thereby allowing newbies and those less capable to learn by their mistakes.
D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Postby phillipb on Wed May 17, 2006 9:30 am

byrt_001 wrote:hi phillip

but...may i ask you do you ussualy post your images without processing them? i mean if you are ussing photoshot or any other program to convert then to jpg then it is very easy to resize them at the same time?

let me know if you need any help.

christian

Hi Christian,
Craig is right, but thank you for your offer to help.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed May 17, 2006 10:41 am

barry wrote:I agree with Alpha7. The abusers of the guidelines should be penalised, thereby allowing newbies and those less capable to learn by their mistakes.

I think you misread my post as that wasn't my meaning, or perhaps I just wasn't very clear due to insomnia :?
Alpha_7

Postby tasadam on Mon May 29, 2006 4:09 pm

I see the size restriction is set at number of pixels, 800 max.
Is there a restriction on file size (Kb) or is it just an image viewing size issue? I recently posted an image of 1024 max size (sorry) but the file size is only 54Kb.
I guess what I am asking is, if there is an image that looks better at 1024 with a file size of less than, say, 100Kb, the requirement is still to downsize to 800. I can see the ease of administration for one rule so it's easy to follow. Thoughts?
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby Glen on Mon May 29, 2006 4:17 pm

Adam, there are two restrictions, one of download size suggesting under 200k but preferably under 100k to help people with slower internet connection, the other is a linear size, that is for ease of viewing on smaller monitors such as laptops etc. A 1024 pixel size is not the native resolution of that many monitors.

If you have an image which looks better at a larger scale, we suggest members do as you did and link to a larger version. 800 pixels should be more than enough to give a general impression and spark someones interest to click through.
Glen

Return to Announcements