Happy New Year

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Happy New Year

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Welcome to 2006, people.

In case you haven't made it yet, I'm sure your time will roll around soon enough... if it doesn't, why not take a trip into a timezone where it's actually started and join in with the rest of us.

Regardless, Happy New Year (or if you're me, Happy Nude Year)!

Now onto the important stuff:

There seems to be a bit of trouble with Pixspot at the moment.
I'm not entirely sure how this came about, but lately, anyone trying to include the image in their post or even link to the image via a url link to the image will result in the user being greeted with the following image:

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here and can only guess that the people at Pixspot have made some changes that are seriously affecting our users.

Coincidentally, I have found a way around the problem.
If you view and then save the image (usually done by right clickingand viewing the image at its actual link (or by clicking at a url designated for it) and saving the image that way), the image downloads with no problems.

This, however, is not a solution but rather just a way around the problem.

In the meantime, I'm suggesting that users do not use Pixspot for their image hosting on this forum as it quite simply doesn't work right now.

There are a few discussions on this at the moment, namely this one where Scott (MHD) has donated a discount code for use with the people we use for the site, Dreamhost, and this one where someone is trying to decide if they should pick between Smugmug and Dreamhost.

If you do pick Smugmug, be aware that you can use one of the discount codes provided by our generous users as well as join the DSLR Users Community, which is the 3rd largest community on Smugmug.

There are a lot of other options out there, mind you, if you're looking at space to store your photos.

Smugmug and Dreamhost are at the top of the list because of how many of our members use them and the discounts these members are providing to you, the members of this board.

People who haven't realised it yet should also look to their ISP as you're more than likely to have some web space that's probably going by unused.

We here at DSLR Users are aware that not everyone can pay for for online image storage so in the new year -- which is the one we're currently in -- I expect that we'll probably look at investigating a means of online image storage for our members who don't have one.

No promises here, but I imagine that this is something that we'll have to consider further down the track.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:22 pm

I do not recommend Dreamhost and it seems to me Dreamhost doesn't provide a good services as we (our forum) always got black-out, with several times during the day: "could not connect to the database". :twisted: :twisted:
I hope we can do something better than in the next couple months.
I also often got kicked out during posting and had to sign in again :twisted: :twisted:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:29 pm

Ah, well let me attack that part for you.

Dreamhost are good, but we're what I would consider a fairly high traffic website for our size, hence Dreamhost's constant issues with us.

Ask both Scott (MHD) or Nick (Pippin88) for their experiences with Dreamhost... I'm sure it'll be better than ours as we tend to push the limits of what most web servers would probably want.
Last edited by Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nnnnsic

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:31 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Ah, well let me attack that part for you.

Dreamhost are good, but we're what I would consider fairly high traffic website for our size, hence Dreamhost's constant issues with us.

Ask both Scott (MHD) or Nick (Pippin88) for their experiences with Dreamhost... I'm sure it'll be better than ours as we tend to push the limits of what most web servers would probably want.

I agreed, it's suitable to a small operator, trader or website.
They didn't serve us well as said!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Manta on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Brisbane members who may have been considering joining the Brisbane Camera Group might want to consider that the group has its own online gallery for members - virtually unlimited space for free (though it costs $50 a year to join the BCG).

Though I've got smugmug and pixspot galleries, I hardly use them at all now that I have my BCG gallery.

Their website is <a href=http://www.brisbanecameragroup.org.au/>here</a>
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby blaize on Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks for that Nnnnsic..... it clears up any questions we may have had in regards to the problems with Pixspot!! I for one was not clear on how to get around the problem so I'm glad you went to the trouble to clarify everything.

cheers

Tony

8) 8)
D70 18-70mm Kit Lens, Nikkor70-300mm ED, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Tamron 70-300MM F/4-5.6 LD MACRO 1:2, Sigma 28-200 1:4~5.6, TC-16A AF Teleconverter, SB-800 Nikon F60 Film Body. :-)
blaize

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:15 am

Eh, it's my job. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nnnnsic

Postby elffinarts on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:36 am

I could offer some of my 12gig to members in my gallery.......
not bothered by bandwidth as I have 10gig/day with my account. :)
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby dooda on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Anyone can join http://www.flickr.com and have a free account. Bandwidth isn't unlimited, but each month you have a brand new 1 gig to use up. Beware though, it gets a little addictive. The pro version with virtually unlimited storage and no advertisements is pretty reasonable, ($30 Canadian per year I believe). I'd be interested in hearing other's comments here who use it, but I'd be hard pressed to hear about anyone that's ever had issues with it. It's a free option anyways.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby kinetic on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:25 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I've decided to get my act together and use my free email webspace.
Plus, I think I have some space on my Uni server too. Hmmm.

Off-topic, Nnnnsic, it's time we got rid of that xmas avatar...... on to the next pagan holiday.... easter!!!! (I choose not to acknowledge Valentines Day!!!:evil: )

kinetic

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Lol.

I have my own bunny ears, thank you very much.

I was thinking a change in avatar and rank might be something I'll do within a few days.
Nnnnsic

Postby kinetic on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:45 pm

Beautiful!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Do they come with a tail?
Ok, I'll wait for new avatar with bated breath..... (whatever that means!) :P
kinetic

Postby darb on Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:38 am

you are all welcome to use my "anonymous" image hosting facility at http://darb.net/anonymous

it allows hotlinking to this forum, and a few others.

they are cleaned out temporarily.
http://davidsonimagery.com/
Right place, right time, where the hecks my camera ...
darb

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:50 am

I've just updated my sticky on Embedding images in a post and my thread on uploading to PixSpot to mention this problem.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Announcements