Hands up!

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Jonesy on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:42 pm

If going down that line should a POTY come from the POTW... to me that would be the logical choice... I know that still leaves 50 odd choices. Otherwise the winners of the Challenges 12 pics to choose from! and in terms of a prize... If it comes from POTW then yes... Maybe we could have a trophy of leigh with his bunny ears and the DSLR logo :lol:

But back on track... somewhere deep down inside of us (past all of the thanks and gratitude for the genoristy we have already seen here) we all like to have more prizes. Like a few have mentioned, we are very grateful for what we have... but if theres more we wont say no :D
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:47 pm

OK!
When you say PoTW, I believe it'll reflect into PoTY
Week and Year are related to.

And the challenge is the challenge, don't mix and I think it won't work :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:50 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Yes, but they did have a prize! as the forum grown, the next challenge winner may win a D2x or a D200 or :lol: a BMW X5 :lol: who knows?

Or perhaps a BMX bike?

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm

What's a bike?

What about some bunny ears as a prize?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:52 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:An X5?

Christ, you could sell it and buy a D2x, a D200, a Horseman Nikon mount digi, an RD-1 and still have money to spend!!!

And then go off on your (high) horse(man) and ride off into the sunset. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:54 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:As I mentioned, if this seems too limiting, I'm all up for the boundaries of the idea to be changed. :)

Good.

Prepare to be surprised. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:56 pm

rokkstar wrote: Although saying that, 4500 posts is something of a monstrous task!!

Yep.

Almost as daunting as trying to understand Tripodi-speak!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby owen on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:57 pm

One thing to think of is how practical is it to go through all the images posted in the year. No doubt people may remember the images that were well commented on, but what about those images that people may have missed that might have been something special? Given that there are many images posted per day, it would be a big task. But confining it to POTW or challenge winners I think may be too restrictive.
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:58 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:I don't think Pic of the year needs a prize. The glory of having you pic chosen amongst so many arguable awesome photo's should be prize enough.

I agree.

Does that mean that I can get to keep the prize, were there one on offer? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:03 pm

Jonesy wrote:If going down that line should a POTY come from the POTW... to me that would be the logical choice...

LOgic ???

Since when does that have anything to do with things?

;)

I know that still leaves 50 odd choices.

You're saying that our PotW choices have been odd? :)

I'll accept that a few may well have been, but that's the nature of this place. :)

but, mathematically, you're suggesting something like

PotW
----- = PotY

???

Maybe we could have a trophy of leigh with his bunny ears and the DSLR logo :lol:

You don't know how close you are ... :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 pm

mmm... coming in a little late on this debate and lonly had a couple of secs to get the general flavour... PoTY sounds like an interesting idea... was thinking though that fro it to be truely the PoTY we should be considering all pics posted this year, whether they were POTW, entries into a competition or just there for general comment (or even justa lark).

Gary... have we a count of the images on file?

How hard would it be to set up a thumbnail set of pages to see every single photo for review and voting???
Mj

Postby Jonesy on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:15 pm

You're saying that our PotW choices have been odd? :)

No...I meant..... well.. 50 odd as in... around 50... oh you know!

Maybe we could have a trophy of leigh with his bunny ears and the DSLR logo Laughing

You don't know how close you are ... Smile

:lol: :lol: I really have to push for time off and get to the xmas show!
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby Glen on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:42 pm

MJ, dont worry about how hard it is technically to display the images, How bloody hard would it be for members to score 4,500 images! :shock: I have trouble on the challenges :lol:
Glen

Postby phillipb on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:17 pm

One other point to consider is that the challanges are restricted to the amount of PP compared to the rest of the photos posted here, therefore you are really comparing apples and oranges.
Thaddeus has donated a prize and has reserved the right to pick the winner, maybe whoever is donating the prize for POTY can do the same using whatever criteria they wish.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Yedrup on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:40 pm

gstark wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Yes, but they did have a prize! as the forum grown, the next challenge winner may win a D2x or a D200 or :lol: a BMW X5 :lol: who knows?

Or perhaps a BMX bike?

:)

Um!!!!!!!!!!! K1200RT, R1200RT, Cruiser............ AAAAHHHH now your talking. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers,
Terry
"Photography is not about cameras, gadgets and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel." -Peter Adams, Sydney 1978
Yedrup

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:56 pm

Heath Bennett wrote:If this was a professionals only site you would have merit. To me it is a bit like when a parent says their child does the best paintings even though to the rest of the world they would be pathetic. If someone has a false notion of their capability, at least they will be happy for a little while until the real world tells them they are hopeless again.

This is a fun, sheltered, private den of people who may or may not be pro, but enjoy experimenting with different aspects of photography.

I would give a four-year-old child first prize in the 60m sprint even though I know I could run faster than him! :D

Heath,

I think you are correct. Couched in those terms you make a good point - but being an ardent genetic cul-de-sac I have no thought of kids and don't care much for the little toads and so I guess that flows on through the rest of my attitude.

Although it would seem that we at least concur with regard to the teaching abilities of the real world.

The initial query was as to whether there were sufficient cewpie dolls on the shelf for the contestants and I offered my view that there were in fact sufficient and that there may in fact be more than is warranted.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:03 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:I offered my view that there were in fact sufficient and that there may in fact be more than is warranted.

And while you may well be correct, we have such wonderful benefactors that sufficient is simply not enough. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Sheetshooter on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:12 pm

Gary,

I would not have spent my life as a walking wall of flesh if enough had ever been enough.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:31 pm

Sheetshooter wrote:Gary,

I would not have spent my life as a walking wall of flesh if enough had ever been enough.

I resemble that remark.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:16 pm

Although it would seem that we at least concur with regard to the teaching abilities of the real world.

The initial query was as to whether there were sufficient cewpie dolls on the shelf for the contestants and I offered my view that there were in fact sufficient and that there may in fact be more than is warranted.

Cheers,

I guess that there are two things right there that we agree on in this topic :shock: :D

I think the real world CAN be one of the best teachers available, but for some people it is a little too daunting. The real world is do it well now or die, here we have room for honest constructive critique. Some people will have improved learning with bribes and softened criticism in my experience. People who don't have the 'gift' can learn it but only through a long hard slog that can be made less hard with cewpie dolls as carrots on sticks. More prizes doesn't mean more for the individual, but more for the group, more chances, more reason to enter for all, even those with the 'I suck' mentality.
Last edited by Heath Bennett on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby stubbsy on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:45 am

phillipb wrote:One other point to consider is that the challanges are restricted to the amount of PP compared to the rest of the photos posted here, therefore you are really comparing apples and oranges.
Thaddeus has donated a prize and has reserved the right to pick the winner, maybe whoever is donating the prize for POTY can do the same using whatever criteria they wish.

Phillip

The POTY idea is just that at the moment - an idea. Aussiedave floated it, but Gary has yet to show us what he has up his sleeve. I'm sure all will be revealed RSN :twisted:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:30 am

stubbsy wrote:
phillipb wrote:One other point to consider is that the challanges are restricted to the amount of PP compared to the rest of the photos posted here, therefore you are really comparing apples and oranges.

Phillip

The POTY idea is just that at the moment - an idea. Aussiedave floated it, but Gary has yet to show us what he has up his sleeve. I'm sure all will be revealed RSN :twisted:

Exactly Stubbsy.....thank you. I have a feeling that the POTY idea was lurking in the background well before I chimed in with the idea....and I suspect that we will soon hear about what Gary has decided.
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Previous

Return to Announcements