I told you there was more!

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

I told you there was more!

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:32 am

First of all, let me mention the Christmas Dinner once more.

If you've not yet booked your seats for our December 9 banquet, now would be a great time to take care of this. Please review this thread and make your bookings before we're all filled up. This promises to be a stellar event, with lots of surpsise for attendees.

In order to make the journey to Sydney worthwhile, we're organising a few extra activities over the weekend too, like a special minimeet, an afternoon bridgewalk and a Sydney night shoot. While this is especially for the out-of-towners, Sydneysiders are always welcome too.

Challenge 7 prizes

As if our prize list isn't already enough, how about this?

Our member Thaddeus is donating a helicopter ride to the image that he judges to be the best image in the challenge.

So, here is the complete prize list for Challenge #7.

1 D70S body, courtesy of Mr Poon from HK Supplies.
2 Benro C327, courtesy of Birddog
3 A3 laminator, courtesy of Smac/ GBC
4 Benro KB-2, courtesy of Birddog
5 2Gb Transcend 80x CF card, courtesy of Birddog

Special Prize - Helicopter ride, courtesy of Thaddeus.

Please note that these challenge prizes are only available to members who are in Australia.

And, yes, I still have a few more things up my sleeve ...

NEW REQUIREMENTS: Bargains section and equipment purchasing

The special deals that Birddog is able to arrange for us are reserved for members only - that is, those who qualify tfor, and have been accepted to the Members group - , and to maintain the high standards that you have already been keeping, we really want to keep these deals - and they are great deals - reserved for active members only.

The rules for becoming a full member have changed, effective immediately, and (also effective immediately) we have a new procedure in place for ordering goods through Briddog.

Please review this message for full details of the changes.
Last edited by gstark on Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:13 am

Only wished that I could have made the weekend, Christmas dinner and the events to follow.

Just that my son is flying in from Sydney with his partner on Friday 9th December and leaves Adelaide on Sunday 11th for NYC via Europe for Xmas/New Year.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:19 pm

Wow

Yet another example of the amazing generosity of the people here.

Russell (Thaddeus) thanks for your impressive prize. I hope that the lucky winner, whoever they might be, takes a pic or two during their time aloft
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Jonesy on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:31 pm

you guys are amazing.... this forum is one big happy family and true colours are really starting to show!

a big thank you to every one for the work and prizes that are involed in this forum!!!! and cheers to an exciting lead up to Christmas

Now back to the drawing board on convincing the boss that I DO NEED A FEW DAYS OFF in December, although he keeps saying something about it being busiest time of year for us....... :D
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby Heath Bennett on Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:18 pm

Simply awesome Thaddeus! All this generousity makes this community even more of an enjoyable environment. Thankyou very much.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby MHD on Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:19 pm

Awesome stuff Thaddeus! I better enter this one!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby rokkstar on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:11 pm

Brilliant. Thadeus that is a wonderful gesture. Thank you very much.
Matt
rokkstar

Postby stubbsy on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:30 pm

rokkstar wrote:Brilliant. Thadeus that is a wonderful gesture. Thank you very much.

matt - you haven't won the prize yet :wink: :lol:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby thaddeus on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:49 am

Yes, the prize is a one hour helicopter photographic tour around Sydney. We'll fly over various landmarks to give you the opportunity to get some great views. Depending on where you live, we may be able to fly over your home. If you like cityscapes, we'll fly over the city. If you want beach shots, we'll fly down the beaches. If you want aircraft shots, we can dodge the 747s in at Sydney Airport. I'll assist you with lens choice prior to the flight and we'll time it for the best photographic conditions, either early in the day or late afternoon.

We'll be taking off from Bankstown Airport, so the winner will need to arrange their own transport there. The helicopter we will be taking has a per-seat weight limit of approximately Leek's weight, so if the winner weighs more than Leek, they will need to discuss with me and possibly select someone else to go in their place.

I'll select the winning photo. I'll be doing this independently of and concurrently with the group voting, so there's a chance that one of the winners of the group prizes will also win the helicopter flight.

My selection criteria for this is the rules of the overall challenge plus an additional criteria of "stunning mix of art and science"

Good luck!
thaddeus

Postby Heath Bennett on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:49 am

thaddeus wrote:Yes, the prize is a one hour helicopter photographic tour around Sydney. We'll fly over various landmarks to give you the opportunity to get some great views. Depending on where you live, we may be able to fly over your home. If you like cityscapes, we'll fly over the city. If you want beach shots, we'll fly down the beaches. If you want aircraft shots, we can dodge the 747s in at Sydney Airport. I'll assist you with lens choice prior to the flight and we'll time it for the best photographic conditions, either early in the day or late afternoon.

We'll be taking off from Bankstown Airport, so the winner will need to arrange their own transport there. The helicopter we will be taking has a per-seat weight limit of approximately Leek's weight, so if the winner weighs more than Leek, they will need to discuss with me and possibly select someone else to go in their place.

I'll select the winning photo. I'll be doing this independently of and concurrently with the group voting, so there's a chance that one of the winners of the group prizes will also win the helicopter flight.

My selection criteria for this is the rules of the overall challenge plus an additional criteria of "stunning mix of art and science"

Good luck!

Thanks Thaddeus, now I will be truly envious of whoever wins. I will have a good idea of what I am missing out on.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby leek on Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:35 am

thaddeus wrote:The helicopter we will be taking has a per-seat weight limit of approximately Leek's weight, so if the winner weighs more than Leek, they will need to discuss with me and possibly select someone else to go in their place.

Gee, thanks for using me as a benchmark Thaddeus :x

I'm not sure why you bothered stating a weight limit... You could probably take two of the smaller forum members instead of me... :lol:

>>> retreats into a corner to plan his diet and exercise regime >>> :lol:
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:39 am

Or just my left leg. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:13 pm

leek wrote: You could probably take two of the smaller forum members instead of me... :lol:

gstark wrote:Or just my left leg.

I'd better enter the contest for a ride in a Chinook. :lol:

Perhaps this is a pissing contest that no-one wants to win!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ipv6ready on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi All,

I should know this but is there a section on the challenges?
I'm back
D3s D700 D200, SB-900, SB-800 x2, SB-600 x4
ipv6ready

Postby Matt. K on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:00 pm

If the winner of the flight has a fear of flying then thaddeus would be most agreeable to placing the chopper on a flat-bed semi-trailer and having the driver tour around the streets of Sydney whilst the winner is firmly strapped into the pilots seat. The big fan would be off! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Matt. K wrote:If the winner of the flight has a fear of flying then thaddeus would be most agreeable to placing the chopper on a flat-bed semi-trailer and having the driver tour around the streets of Sydney whilst the winner is firmly strapped into the pilots seat. The big fan would be off! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby phillipb on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:11 pm

thaddeus wrote: The helicopter we will be taking has a per-seat weight limit of approximately Leek's weight

This can be seen as a positive, The odds of winning a prize in our challenges has always been good, but they just got a hell of a lot better for our young and fit and small members.
:wink: :D

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Return to Announcements