Do close up filters work on compact digital cameras?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Do close up filters work on compact digital cameras?

Postby chaos133 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey, I was wondering if close up filters would work on a Canon SX40 HS or do they only work on DSLR cameras?, you can get a filter adapter for it that takes 67mm filters, I was wondering if close up filters would work and allow me to take closer shots (It doesn't have to be 1:1) I was thinking of getting something like this:http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5293.htm Thanks for anyone's help :)
chaos133

Re: Do close up filters work on compact digital cameras?

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm

They should work quite happily. I used to use one on a Kodak Instamatic. The only thing which may get upset is the autofocus. If you can set focus manually, then no dramas at all. If you can't, it will probably work but not guaranteed.

Remember that all these are are magnifying glasses. Try shooting though an el cheapo from a newsagents or $2 shop or even a pair of reading glasses. If that works with AF these certainly will. What you are paying for for the extra hundred or so dollars are the mountings which make them easier to use, the optical quality glass (clarity and White Balance) and the precision grinding (+2 really is). Cheap magnifiers and reading glasses are just moulded plastic.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby chaos133 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Ok thanks :) I tried using a cheap magnifying glass and it did magnify the image when I zoomed in a little bit, so I can imagine the real thing will work a lot better. Thanks for your help! :D
chaos133

Postby Murray Foote on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:17 am

The ones you are thinking of, and most of them, are single element filters and will degrade the image, though they are producing an image you wouldn't otherwise have had and you may well find the quality acceptable. It is possible to get double-element ones which deliver good quality and are obviously more expensive. Whether the difference matters on a small sensor superzoom I don't know.
Murray Foote

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions