Nikon D3000-Using Aperture

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D3000-Using Aperture

Postby naiht on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:39 am

Hey I know I sound stupid but I just couldn't get a hand of it.

Whenever I'm in Aperture priority mode the photos I took are all blur, I mean ALL, and the subject is never focused. I have tried changing to various aperture (f5 - f13) but the results are all same and I wonder why... Is it caused by hand shaking? But the VR mode is on so ... Hmm?
naiht

Re: Nikon D3000-Using Aperture

Postby aim54x on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:45 am

keep an eye on your shutter speed...you may find that this may be very low (or slow) and can cause blurr. Also make sure your lens is set to Auto focus, I have done it before and sat there scratching my head wondering why things weren't sharp.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby photomarcs on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am

aim54x wrote:keep an eye on your shutter speed...you may find that this may be very low (or slow) and can cause blurr. Also make sure your lens is set to Auto focus, I have done it before and sat there scratching my head wondering why things weren't sharp.

:agree:

Be sure that handheld.. i guess the rule of thumb is to never shoot under 1/125 of a second, but with VR these days you can shoot to 1/30 even 0"3 and still be quite sharp... what ISO have your shots been mainly used on? Cameron.. do you think midrange ISO could factor in on sharpness ? I have a feeling that it won't but it could be a factor in the D3000.

LMFAO! @ set to AF.. I'm sure naiht can be sure thats set :)
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Postby photomarcs on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:47 am

naiht wrote:Hey I know I sound stupid but I just couldn't get a hand of it.

Dw dude, it's not a silly post to have up here, alot of people question these things but are too afraid to ask :D so realistically.. you may THINK you sound stupid, but who's the winner in the end when you've got the knowledge you were chasing after? :up:
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Postby gstark on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:11 pm

photomarcs wrote:
naiht wrote:Hey I know I sound stupid but I just couldn't get a hand of it.

Dw dude, it's not a silly post to have up here, alot of people question these things but are too afraid to ask

Exactly. The only stupid question is the one that you did not ask.

naiht wrote:Whenever I'm in Aperture priority mode the photos I took are all blur, I mean ALL, and the subject is never focused. I have tried changing to various aperture (f5 - f13) but the results are all same and I wonder why

Let's take a step back ... and try to understand what you mean by "blur". There may be issues brought about through improper focus, camera shake, depth of field issues ...

if you can please post a few examples of your images, then we can see exactly what you are seeing, and we'll then be better equipped to give you a meaningful response.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 pm

I agree with the others that you will need to make sure that your lens is set to AUTOfocus. This happens to be on a regular basis! :oops:

Also post up some shots as Gary suggests.
surenj

Postby aim54x on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:29 pm

photomarcs wrote:What ISO have your shots been mainly used on? Cameron.. do you think midrange ISO could factor in on sharpness ? I have a feeling that it won't but it could be a factor in the D3000.

LMFAO! @ set to AF.. I'm sure naiht can be sure thats set :)

Mid range ISO on a D3000 will be fine...even High ISO is generally not going to create softness to the point of blur. As for setting AF to AF and not MF...most lenses ship with the switch in the MF position
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions