Macro lens question (AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/1.8 D)

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Macro lens question (AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/1.8 D)

Postby cyanide on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:05 pm

Hi all,

This may possibly be a dumb question, so apologies in advance if it is.

I recently bought this lens on ebay and it arrived just now so I have just attached it to my D70 to give it a quick test (D70 brought to work in anticipation of this moment!)

However, although the first shot seemed to come out OK, subsequent shots are now totally overexposed.... the camera is set on P mode and yet when I try to take a photo of (eg) my calculator on my desk, in flourescent light, it uses f/13 and a shutter speed of 5 seconds, resulting in a totally washed out shot.

Is there a setting on the lense that that could be causing this? I played around a bit but to no avail. As mentioned, it is second-hand, and there is no instruction manual with it.

Many thanks if anyone else who has this lens can shed any light...? Visually, the lense looks in excellent condition (ie no external damage to indicate a fall or anything) so I am not going to jump to conclusions that it's a faulty lens - more likely a faulty user, lol.

Cheers and thanks in advance, folks
cyanide

Postby birddog114 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:13 pm

What focus mode are you trying? Manual or auto?
mode won't work with macro shoot.

Swich to manual mode/ minimum f.8 to f.11, this may help.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby cyanide on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:23 pm

Oh :oops: - I had no idea P mode would not be useable with this lens. I just assumed it would be. That's fairly embarrassing. :lol: :oops:

I was using the lens in Auto focus mode (set that way both on the lens and on the D70) as it was just a first test.

I was able to get a correct(-ish) exposure by guessing at an appropriate shutter speed in S Mode, so I guess that is it - only use this lens in S,A or M mode?

Unfortunately, in my great idea to bring the D70 to work today, I neglected to check the battery, so it has just run out. No more testing for me until I get home to my other battery... :(

Will post again after I get home from work, in a few hours...

Edit: just to add a thank-you to Birddog for his advice.
cyanide

Postby birddog114 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:27 pm

Have a few kim chi with bi bim bap or bul go gi and it will fix :lol:
The AF on these macro lens are not fast, it hunts alot if you're shooting macro and closed subject.
To improve the macro shots, the best thing is using S,A, or M mode and from f.8 - f.11.
Enjoyed!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby cyanide on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:51 am

Didn't get a chance to post photos last night, but all seems well - indeed, it was that I was using the wrong setting (P mode) for this lens. :oops:

Thanks for the quick advice, and I look forward to making photos worth posting!!

Cheers
Rae
All the gear and no idea.
PPOK / Others' pics in my threads OK
cyanide

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions