Elephants Krueger - Advice on Light

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Elephants Krueger - Advice on Light

Postby Lukec on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi

Took this pic a few months ago in Krueger Park ZA.

I like the pic just dont think its that great as i believe it is too bright.

Is anyone able to suggest something for dealing with the light when the sun is high?

Cheers
Luke
Lukec

Re: Elephants Krueger - Advice on Light

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi Luke
You have taken the image 'against the light' (contre jour) and you have achieved a typical result. There are 3 ways to overcome this problem. Move around to the other side of your subject...(the side that has the sun shining on it) or...spot meter off your elephant so that he is correctly exposed, (increase exposure by 1 or 2 stops), or lastly..expose as normal but use a flashgun to brighten your main subjects. I would be hesitant to use a flashgun on an elephant.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 pm

luke just to add to matt's post. the angle of the sun in relation to your front lens element has also washed away loads of contrast which is why its so dull and soft looking.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby DaveB on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 am

Main issue is the flare across the image: the sun was shining into the front of your lens.
Did you have the lens hood mounted properly?

Also, if a dark grey elephant features in the frame your camera will try to make it mid-grey if you're shooting in something like aperture-priority (Av). You'd want to use some -ve exposure compensation. But I don't think that's the issue here as much as the flare from the sun.
DaveB

Postby Lukec on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 am

Hi All

Thanks for the advice, this is helpful albeit obvious to most on the forum.
(Not me)

I am pretty sure the lens hood was mounted properly.

Hopefuly next time i can get the Elephant to turn and stay still. :lol:
Cheers
Luke
Lukec

Postby Matt. K on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:58 pm

DaveB
Elephants are living breathing grey cards. No exposure compensation needed. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby DaveB on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 am

Matt. K wrote:Elephants are living breathing grey cards. No exposure compensation needed. :D :D :D

In 2006 I was in Tarangire NP in Tanzania photographing elephants. I usually use manual exposure, but at one stage the light kept changing (clouds covering/uncovering the sun) so I switched to aperture-priority. Had a few issues with the photos were I didn't get the exposure compensation right.
Sure the elephants come out mid-grey by default, but they weren't all meant to be mid-grey! The darker ones caused my skies to blow out.

Luckily highlight/exposure recovery in CameraRaw let me save most of those shots where I screwed up.

Luke, at least you were using a hood! But they can't save you from all flare, especially when you're shooting towards the sun. Also, if you had a filter (e.g. UV) on your lens that would have probably made the flare worse.
DaveB

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:20 am

Matt,

Matt. K wrote:Elephants are living breathing grey cards. No exposure compensation needed. :D :D :D

I believe that you always carry a couple around wherever you go.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions