how to focus in darkness

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

how to focus in darkness

Postby auxr8220 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm

i find at nighttime i get a better focus when i use auto focus, but sometimes it doesnt want to focus. i use a torch sometimes aswell and this helps but i want to know if there are any better ways to focus at night time.
auxr8220

Re: how to focus in darkness

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:38 pm

For AF systems to work, they typically need good contrast - it is easier to focus on a black and white checkered flag than shades of grey. At night, contrast often goes way down, and your torch then increases it, making it easier to focus.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Willy wombat on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Some higher end speed lights (flashes) also have built in focus assist function when used in the hot shoe of your camera
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby aim54x on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm

I have done the torch thing as well...the focus assist on the better flashes work a treat though!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:08 am

A couple of points to note ....

If you have a lower end camera, then the AF system will also have some bells muted and some whistles damped.

If you're using kit glass, it will be optically slower. This means that it lets less light in, which means that there's less light available for the AF system - already nobbled in a low-end camera - to do its stuff.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:20 am

gstark wrote:A couple of points to note ....

If you have a lower end camera, then the AF system will also have some bells muted and some whistles damped.

If you're using kit glass, it will be optically slower. This means that it lets less light in, which means that there's less light available for the AF system - already nobbled in a low-end camera - to do its stuff.

Very good points to note as well!! But the full power of a Wolfeyes Defender 260 should remedy both those problems if it is ONLY low light that is the problem (poor subject though...burnt eyes)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:42 am

Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Murray Foote on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 am

If you're using a wide angle lens on a camera that allows manual focusing, there will be greater depth of focus and manually focusing off the lens barrel may do just fine.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:31 pm

Depending on subject, you could use a tape measure or laser range finder (just avoid eyes!) & set the distance manually. Those numbers are written on the barrel for a reason after all.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby auxr8220 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:42 am

cheers ill just continue to use the torch to focus,

the tape measure i a good idea, if it was only for one or two shots it would be ok, but for a number of photos from different angles and distance it would be too time consuming.
auxr8220

Postby photoaffinity on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:20 am

If i know that i'll be shooting in a dark environment for an evening wedding or similar, i sometimes stick a small LED light to the barrel of my lens with some Velcro and elastic, that way i can touch the button for a quick focus assist light.
photoaffinity

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions