Which Tripod?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Which Tripod?

Postby Lukec on Tue May 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi

Definate Newby here!

What do i need to know or be aware of when buying a Tripod?

I have about 150 to spend.

Cheers
Luke
Cheers
Luke
Lukec

Re: Which Tripod?

Postby aim54x on Tue May 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi Luke,

Just to help our recommendations I would like to ask a few questions:
-what camera/lenses are you going to use with this tripod? (ie what is the biggest/heaviest lens you will be using)
-how long will it be before you get something bigger?
-what do you need this tripod for? (ie hiking, everyday etc)
-how much do you need this tripod at this point in time? (it maybe worth saving a bit more money to get something better that will mean you dont have to buy another tripod)

Just for some background reading have a look at Thom Hogan's article about Tripods
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Tue May 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Great advise Cameron! Loved that article. I think that article just saved me $75 [ well it's was that much in 2003 ] :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby Photopotamus on Tue May 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Being part of the noob group, I too would be curious to hear what others have or can recommend in this department. :?:

I'll be watching this thread!
Canon 450D/ 18-55 IS "Kit Lens" / 55-250 IS "Kit Lens 2" / 17-85 EF-S / Nifty 50 II

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Australia? (USA)
A: Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.
Photopotamus

Postby aim54x on Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 pm

surenj wrote:Great advise Cameron! Loved that article. I think that article just saved me $75 [ well it's was that much in 2003 ] :mrgreen:

Glad that Mr Hogan has managed to help another reader....love Mr Hogans articles, definitely a good source for nikon review, and I love how he pans Nikon for their mistakes as well as celebrate their achievements. BTW what did you save if it was $75 in 2003???

If I was buying my tripod I would go with a better head, my 322RC2 annoys me, yep I have that dreaded pistol grip and the Bogen 3021 legs (Manfrotto 055PROB) and he is right that the trick centre post is less than stable in some positions! Maybe I should get a RRS BH-55 and some L-plates.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 am

It's worth checking out the Benro tripods, they sell some Aluminium pods with basic ballheads for under $200, and of course, you can spend more for a better one if you can stretch the finances. Benro are a reasonably well made Gitzo knock-off from China.

There is an online shop in Sydney here

Previous thread about this shop here

Hope that helps.
photohiker

Postby Lukec on Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 am

aim54x wrote:Hi Luke,

Just to help our recommendations I would like to ask a few questions:
-what camera/lenses are you going to use with this tripod? (ie what is the biggest/heaviest lens you will be using)
-how long will it be before you get something bigger?
-what do you need this tripod for? (ie hiking, everyday etc)
-how much do you need this tripod at this point in time? (it maybe worth saving a bit more money to get something better that will mean you dont have to buy another tripod)

Just for some background reading have a look at Thom Hogan's article about Tripods

Hi

Nikon D90 with a twin lense kit, the largest lense being 70-200mm. I cant see myself getting anything larger than 400mm in the next couple of years.(i hope)

There will be no real hiking with this lense(my legs are unable to carry me), however realtively compact may be an advantage for Travel (hoping to go back to Africa).

At this stage i have a play with the camera maybe weekly and Photography is not going to be a profession.

Having a Tripod immediately is not necessary and i am an advocate of spending more on quality as long as i know what i am after.

I'll check these articles out at lunch today.
Cheers
Luke
Lukec

Postby aim54x on Wed May 13, 2009 11:05 am

Lukec wrote:Nikon D90 with a twin lense kit, the largest lense being 70-200mm. I cant see myself getting anything larger than 400mm in the next couple of years.(i hope)

Wow a 70-200mm f/2.8 in a twin lens kit!!

There will be no real hiking with this lense(my legs are unable to carry me), however realtively compact may be an advantage for Travel (hoping to go back to Africa).

At this stage i have a play with the camera maybe weekly and Photography is not going to be a profession.

Having a Tripod immediately is not necessary and i am an advocate of spending more on quality as long as i know what i am after.

Then I would probably go down the road of saving for the buy-once ethic. I have personally fallen into the buy once, buy twice, buy again category out of the lack of advice (but then again I didnt pay for my current tripod setup - thank you work!). From the bit of reading that I did last night, it seems like the way to go is to save your pennies and get a nice set of Gitzo legs (carbon fibre) and a Markins M-20 ball head with the RRS lever release and some L-plates, BUT that is going to STING!!!

Maybe someone else can provide another opinion.
Last edited by aim54x on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Lukec on Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 pm

aim54x wrote:
Lukec wrote:Nikon D90 with a twin lense kit, the largest lense being 70-200mm. I cant see myself getting anything larger than 400mm in the next couple of years.(i hope)

Wow a 70-200mm f/2.8 in a twin lens kit!!

Sorry my error, its only the 55-200mm lense
Cheers
Luke
Lukec

Postby photohiker on Wed May 13, 2009 3:14 pm

Starting out without a tripod and then buying the best one recommended by others does have it's drawbacks. The biggest being that you may not get along with it for some reason.

There's a lot to be said for starting off with a cheapie. It gives you something to use while you save, and it informs your decision on what you really need long term.

I still say buy a good basic pod like those already suggested, and upgrade as required. You can always use the first one as a spare or a light stand etc. In fact that is exactly what I do with my old Velbon VGB-3 that must date from the <cough> 1970's :)

Michael
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Wed May 13, 2009 3:31 pm

photohiker wrote:Starting out without a tripod and then buying the best one recommended by others does have it's drawbacks. The biggest being that you may not get along with it for some reason.

There's a lot to be said for starting off with a cheapie. It gives you something to use while you save, and it informs your decision on what you really need long term.

I still say buy a good basic pod like those already suggested, and upgrade as required. You can always use the first one as a spare or a light stand etc. In fact that is exactly what I do with my old Velbon VGB-3 that must date from the <cough> 1970's :)

Michael

That is also a very good point! hmmm I think I smell a Manfrotto 190 + 804RC2, Gerry is using this set atm and it is pretty much what Mr Hogan describes as the Bogen 3001 legs. Nice set of legs, we bought two of these kits to loan out to the members of the Photographic Society at USYD (PhotoSoc) this year.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Wed May 13, 2009 6:02 pm

I would recommend Benro tripods as they are well made and great value for money. Check them out at the PHOTO SHOP STUDIO in Liverpool St (I think number 78). Let them know you are a forum member and maybe squeeze a discount out of them. Check out the basalt tripods....cool!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Murray Foote on Wed May 13, 2009 8:26 pm

You don't want to get too cheap a tripod because many of the cheap ones are just not steady. Even though you're not expecting to be walking you may want to keep the weight down for air travel and that tends to suggest a carbon fibre one. My most used tripod is a Feisol which is from Taiwan but a perfectly good quality tripod IMO. At the time I bought it, it was about half the price of the equivalent Manfrotto. Probably that still holds, in any case their range starts from c.$A325 delivered, without the tripod head. (I went for a lightweight Manfrotto head but it's not a ballhead).

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby biggerry on Wed May 13, 2009 11:00 pm

I have about 150 to spend.

Probably the intermediate plastic/AL numbers that others ahve mentioned may be worthwhile. I agree that getting a good tripod first go is important, but that should not rule out getting a cheapy to start with, especially if you are not sure one what you expect to shooting in a few years.

You can always use the first one as a spare or a light stand etc

:agree: or pass it on or fleabay it...

Manfrotto 190 + 804RC2, Gerry is using this set atm

yeah I have the 190XPROB with the 486RC2 head, the head is a little big for my needs but it is very nice and sturdy, my main concern was the cost and weight, I wanted to be able to carry the kit on short hikes and whilst it is not the lightest one around it is pretty fine value.

Both the tripod and head have been copped a few drops and dings over the last year but the quality and build are quite good and I love anything that comes with a serial number...makes me feel important :roll:
if your after cost and suppliers for this combo let me know, I did a bit of research to get the cheapest...
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Thu May 14, 2009 12:06 pm

biggerry wrote:
Manfrotto 190 + 804RC2, Gerry is using this set atm

yeah I have the 190XPROB with the 486RC2 head, the head is a little big for my needs but it is very nice and sturdy, my main concern was the cost and weight, I wanted to be able to carry the kit on short hikes and whilst it is not the lightest one around it is pretty fine value.

Both the tripod and head have been copped a few drops and dings over the last year but the quality and build are quite good and I love anything that comes with a serial number...makes me feel important :roll:
if your after cost and suppliers for this combo let me know, I did a bit of research to get the cheapest...

Sorry Gerry, I knew you had a set of 190 series legs! I'll vouch for the 190XDB +804RC2 (VanBar was selling them at 220ish from memory of when we bought them last year). It is a better starting place than one of those $80-$150 cheapies.
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions