STORING CLEANING & MAINTENANCE - Nikon D90

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

STORING CLEANING & MAINTENANCE - Nikon D90

Postby Lukec on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi All

After purchasing my D90 i am over the moon and kind of like a parent with a new born.
(Ridicoulous i know )

The manual suggests that when in use i should remove battery etc. Is this correct?
(Sorry Newby ?)

Also when not in use all lenses etc are dissasembled so every time i use it i need to assemble, should i have a cleaning protocol to avoid dust etc from entering camera?... what should it be? ... and what products should i use>?....

I have Lowerpro bag that all my equipment is stored in which is loacated out of the sun in a dry environment. Should i take more precautionary steps in the way of storing with Moisture absorbent satchets?..
Cheers
Luke
Lukec

Re: STORING CLEANING & MAINTENANCE - Nikon D90

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Luke,

Lukec wrote:The manual suggests that when in use i should remove battery etc. Is this correct?

I'm sure you meant to say "when not in use", but that concept - "not in use" should simply not apply. :)

Remove and recharge your battery when you've come home after a shoot, but if the battery is not in your camera when you need to make a shot, then you may as well have bought a USB tie fan.

Also when not in use all lenses etc are dissasembled so every time i use it i need to assemble, should i have a cleaning protocol to avoid dust etc from entering camera?... what should it be? ... and what products should i use>?....

Two questions there.

For the first question, I would make the observation that keeping your camera and lenses separated as a normal course of action means that when you need to quickly make a shot, then you may as well have bought a USB powered e-cigarette.

As you may have guessed by now, my cameras are always ready to go, and that's been the way for more than 20 years, and that doesn't seem to have caused them too much harm over that time. :)

As to cleaning, get yourself a Giotto rocket. You won't need much more than to give the camera an occasional blow.

I have Lowerpro bag that all my equipment is stored in which is loacated out of the sun in a dry environment. Should i take more precautionary steps in the way of storing with Moisture absorbent satchets?..

While not strictly necessary, just use the silica gel sachets that come with ... all manner of things.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Lukec on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Cheers, i think this confirms i am being over the top.

:D
Cheers
Luke
Lukec

Postby aim54x on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Yep Gary is right, just keep the battery in (you may find that you will not need to recharge after every shoot) and keep the lens on the camera and throw them into your lowepro.

As for cleaning, a rocket is probably the best tool, shop around and find the CL1002 kit (med rocket + lens cloth + lens fluid + goats hair brush - good for dusting off the exterior if you must - and cotton buds - pointy on one end). Otherwise lens tissue and rocket will be the bare basics.

Silica gel, just recycle (if you stick bloated packets into the oven they actually dehydrate and become reusable again)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions