Lens Cleaning

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Lens Cleaning

Postby Kreapen on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Is it possible to get the inside of a lense cleaned for Dust?

Am looking at picking up a few second hand lenses that are still operator correctly.. no scratches or fungul growth on the lens but has a little dust on the inside..

Can this be cleaned?
Kreapen

Re: Lens Cleaning

Postby shakey on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:16 am

If its only a little dust I wouldn't bother. Most lenses, especially zooms, get a bit of dust inside during their working lives. Most dust doesn't affect image quality, which is the most important thing when it comes down to it.

ALL my lenses have a "bit of dust"
shakey

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:44 am

Shakey is spot on. Don't get paranoid about small specks of dust inside your lenses. They have almost no effect whatsoever on image sharpness. The only exception to this rule is dust on the rear elements of very wide angle or fish eye lenses such as 10.5mm etc.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby MatthewRoberts on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey guys, I found a great article on this topic here: http://photojojo.com/content/tutorials/digital-slr-sensor-cleaning/
“ If you cannot explain it simply, you dont understand it well enough ”
Albert Einstein

D90 / D700 / SB-900 / 50mm 1.4G / 18-200mm / 24-70mm, Manfrotto 190XDB/804RC2
Canon Powershot SX100IS, Canon IXUS 65, Pentax Optio S4
MatthewRoberts

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:40 pm

MatthewRoberts wrote: on this topic here

Actually, that article is on sensor cleaning, not lens cleaning. While there's nothing new in that article (nothing that's not been discussed here before) its advice is sound.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:22 pm

I have also always wondered about this also and whether it is really economically feasible, I have a number of secondhand lens all with some measure of dust inside - it took me awhile to realise that even with this amount of dust there is little if any effect on the sharpness or quality of image.

However, has anyone actually had a lens internally cleaned? if so what kind of costs were involved and what was the dust amount ??

With all that in mind I took a few shots of my 55mm micro rear lens element - check out the supersiozed blob (yellowish) :shock: This has always been there and I have taken many shots with this lens and never seen any sign of it. I hope this provides some level of confidence for you kreapen :D

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions