Wireless trigger question

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Wireless trigger question

Postby timno1 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:19 pm

Im looking to buy a wireless trigger for a softbox.Can someone please let me know which is the best to purchase and approximate prices.I have noticed there are a lot of cheap versions on Ebay,but im looking for something that wont fall apart the first time i use it.haha.
Thanks for any assistance...Tim.
timno1

Re: Wireless trigger question

Postby darklightphotography on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 am

I use the ebay ones, they work fine. They are so much cheaper that Pocket Wizards etc that I don't think you can go past them for a 1st trigger.

The best are probably Pocket Wizards - from $320 each and you need at least 2, or Elinchrom Skyports from $300 for a set.

I think I paid $25 a set for ebay triggers.
darklightphotography

Postby Greg B on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:51 am

Tim, there have been several discussions on this very subject which you might find helpful.

Use the search function with each of..

wireless
pocket wizard
skyport

and read away.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby muzz on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:27 pm

The new RadioPoppers look very interesting - they seem to sit somewhere between the PocketWizards and the ebay triggers. They'd be even more interesting if the exchange rate was better.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby Raskill on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Pretty steep though. $180 US for a transmitter, and the same for a receiver. Might as well buy the PW's!
:roll:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby muzz on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:00 pm

Raskill wrote:Pretty steep though. $180 US for a transmitter, and the same for a receiver. Might as well buy the PW's!
:roll:

It looks like the website has lagged behind development. The 428kb press release describing the new release from December 13th is here. There is a more expensive PX system, but the JrX lists a package of 1 transmitter and 1 receiver for US$99 or US$129 for a studio kit.

The 5 min YouTube video is here.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions