Start Out - Canon / Nikon?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Re: Start Out - Canon / Nikon?

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:40 am

Hi Jaff, and welcome.

The D90 is a great body for you to start with.

For shooting jewellery, rather than getting either of the kit lenses (or maybe as well as) you may better off looking to get something like the Tamron 90mm. It's relatively inexpensive, it's a fast lens, but has consistently good image and build quality. It won't give you the versatility of either of the kit lenses that you mentioned, but for macro work, it's a lens whose purchase you will not regret.

My guess is that you should be able to pick up the 18-105 and the Tamron 90 for around the same price as the 18-200.

There's a couple of other aspects of shooting jewellery that you will also need to consider. Lighting is important: have you considered how you're going to light your subjects yet? What about somewhere to shoot: do you have a light tent? These are very important questions; shooting jewellery/macros etc is not simply a matter of getting up close and personal. The quality and direction of your light sources can easily break your images .... there are inexpensive ways to overcome the issues you may see.

And then there's focus and image stability: what sort of camera support do you have? As you move in closer to your subject, focus becomes harder to achieve, and a good camera support helps you to overcome the issues that you will, over time, be sure to encounter. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Gary you have hit the nail on the head! I would also add a light tent and some desklamps to your shopping list as well for those close ups!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby amashun1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Nice pick up Luke!

I was also tossing between Canon 50D and Nikon D90 before but i picked up a D90 instead. i actually went to here and compare sample pictures side by side, found that the Nikon is slightly better quality and coloration. Also more importantly, as mentioned, it feels better in my hand hence my decision.

you are correct on the expensive side of hobby...lol i just can't help myself and keep spending on more accessories and lenses. but the good thing is, we are at least not spending it on the poker machine mate :mrgreen:

Hi Rod, another noob here too :mrgreen: I picked up the D90 and 18-105mm VR kit lens, personally find it pretty good to cover up most range. I'm not saying the twin kit lenses is bad selection but i personally just too lazy to switch over. for close up shots, maybe worth to check out some micro lens that Nikon offer or Tamron 90mm macro. HTH

Cheers,
A
Cheers,
Adrian

Nikon user
amashun1

Postby jaff on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:39 am

Amushun1, thanks for the link, the lens and camera shot reviews were great.
jaff

Postby petermmc on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:53 am

Hi Luke,

The D90 is a really good choice of camera. It has lots of features that will keep you occupied for years to come. I just read your post above and all the other comments I made, before I edited this, are pretty redundant. Great camera great choice of lens.

Have a nice time.

Kind regards
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Previous

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions