Prices on Hoya Polarising Filter??

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Prices on Hoya Polarising Filter??

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:38 am

Hello everyone, my santa list has come through, i am getting a circular 58mm polarising filter. Local shop has offered it to me for $49.95. Is this a good price, i've done a quick look around (very quick) best i could find in aus was $58....so its obviously better then that price, it's a HOYA brand....are they alright? thanks guys. kristen
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: Prices on Hoya Polarising Filter??

Postby ATJ on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:30 am

Kristen,

One thing to be aware of is that Hoya make a number of different circular polarising filters with different quality and different prices, so you need to make sure you compare apples to apples.

Quality Camera usually have pretty good prices, so here are some examples:

Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter - $59
Hoya 58mm HMC Multi-Coated Circular Polarizer Filter - $95
Hoya 58mm Super HMC PRO 1D Circular Polarizer Filter - $150

I have to assume the one they are offering for $49.95 is the base model and it does seem like a good price. However, I recommend you get at least the HMC version and perhaps even the PRO D1. Remember, each time you use the filter, every ray of light in the photograph will pass through it. You want the effect of the polariser without degrading the quality of the image.
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:08 am

I have a Hoya HMC C-Pol and it is really thick (it cases vignetting on my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 -my only DX lens- at all apertures) I also use the Marumi DHG C-Pol (about 3.5mm thin) which I use on the Tamron with a step up ring (this C-pol was bought for 77mm filter thread) but I would imagine that the thinner ringed filters are better than the fat ringed ones.

The differences in between the basic hoya, HMC, Super HMC, and Super HMC Pro1 are primarily the amount of multicoating (basic - basic coating, HMC - Hoya MultiCoating, Super HMC - 12 layers of Super MultiCoating, Super HMC Pro1D - 12 layers of Super MultiCoating + thinner ring)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby DebT on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:52 am

Hi, have you considered the Cokin range ?
I have gone this way because I can spend good money on glass/filter quality but by simply using a differnt mount (quite affordable) I can use each filter on my whole collection of lenses. I bought the cokin holder and mounts quite cheaply so worth looking around. I realise they are a bit bulkier but I think they are a better investment in the long run and I am lucky enough to receive new 'fun' ones as gifts from time to time - so this may work for you also PS I still have a 'clear' Hoya screw on filter on the front of each lense purely for protection

I have also started to play with using a couple of filters together and it's easy to do with the Cokins.

DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm

I do the same, Marumi (primarily) and Hoya UV's for each lens then Marumi 77mm C-Pol and a Hoya 67mm C-pol, but I do use the Cokin ND filters.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:07 pm

DebT wrote:Hi, have you considered the Cokin range ?

Deb, How well do they work for a polariser? Typically, you need to be able to rotate the polariser to get the right angle to exclude the light you don't want.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:14 pm

ATJ wrote:
DebT wrote:Hi, have you considered the Cokin range ?

Deb, How well do they work for a polariser? Typically, you need to be able to rotate the polariser to get the right angle to exclude the light you don't want.

Andrew,

With a Cokin, you just rotate the holder. That's how it's designed.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:19 pm

gstark wrote:With a Cokin, you just rotate the holder. That's how it's designed.

Yes, that is how it is done, I find that I cant be bothered to take out the holder most of the time so I just hold the filter in front of the lens with my left hand (adjusting my zoom), then I just operate the camera with one hand (I love the NIkons for letting me be able to do that comfortably, no funny scroll wheel on the back)
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions