santas wishlist

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

santas wishlist

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:34 am

hello everyone, just wondering if you could help me put together a wishlist from santa (well myself), i love shooting portraits, landscapes, lots of outdoor stuff. I own the oly e510,dual lense kit, 2gig xd card,lowepro compu daypack and a tripod. I have no more then $100 (pushing it with that much), unfortunately santa isn't as kind to the parents as he is to the kids heheheh.

I was thinking along the lines of some filters.....polarizers etc. Can anyone suggest anything else worth while getting. Where best to buy them from, etc etc.

Thanks everyone for looking, i just hope now to get some replies.
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: santas wishlist

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:52 am

I would put a CPL (polariser) at the top of your list. It is useful for so many things, not just landscapes.

Second, for landscapes, I would consider Neutral Density (ND) filters. Either straight or graduated. Straight ore good for those dreamy waterfall shots (or for removing cars from a busy road) Graduated help you balance exposure between land and sky. For graduated get the Cokin type (There are other brands) as they allow you to choose where the junction between filtered and unfiltered lies.

For portraits you need ways of controlling your light source. This could be an off camera flash (If you don't have one you should! It can also be diffusers or reflectors for softening/redirecting the lights you have now.

A third category would be more memeory cards so you can go longer or use higher definition between trips to the computer.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby DJT on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:02 pm

sub $100 I reckon you are looking at a CP filter. Unless you go down the Cokin road, then you would be looking at around the $60-$80 mark to get the adaptor for your lens & the filter holder, then you need to buy the filters as the spare coin comes along. The cost of the filters themselves varies but are around the $20-$40 mark.
I actually bought a Cokin "P" series adaptor, filter holder & grad (grey)ND filter for $89 from Camera house about 2 weeks back. I saw the same kit in Teds for $140 so shop around, there are heaps on the web too.
Only other thing I would suggest (as has Mr Darcy) would be a flash, although not sure on Olympus costs
And also as Mr Darcy has metioned more memory, I have reached for the spare memory card a couple of times now & might just ask Santa for a spare spare card too
DJT

Postby aim54x on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:14 pm

I would have the Cokin Neutral Density filter or a CPL on the top of that list, then if you can spare the money a big CF card (XD is just too exy)!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions