Mark Webber Challenge

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Mark Webber Challenge

Postby johnd on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:02 am

Hi all,

I'm one of the two photographers shooting the Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge over the next week and a half. The other photographer is from Getty Images. It should be a great event and a new experience for me shooting something so big. The plan is that we will each get our list of must get shots each day and we meet back with the PR person at 4 each day for the preparation of a press release complete with images. The press release goes out at 5, so there will be very little time for any post processing, maybe a couple minutes to crop selected images but that would be about it. I'm assuming that what you get in camera is what goes out. I'm planning to do all shooting in jpg. I'll find out the max size usable from the PR person. To avoid any PP, I'm looking for a recommendation for the camera colour mode. Adobe RGB will retain a larger colour gamet (which would be useful for any shots that end up in magazines), but as the output is initially destined for web sites and newspapers, I assume I'd be better to use sRGB in camera. Maybe I'll have time to batch them thru Photoshop each day (in which case I could shoot in Adobe RGB and convert to sRGB and resize at the same time thru the batch image processor), but I wouldn't count on getting the time.

Could I please have your recommendations regarding the camera colour mode to use? Any other helpful hints or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Re: Mark Webber Challenge

Postby ATJ on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 am

John,

Assuming you have enough CF cards, why not shoot raw+JPEG? That way you still have the JPEG for quick processing, but you have the option of doing more with some of the photos later when you have time. It won't cost you anything, other than space on the cards and hard disk.

I would think you'd be safer with sRGB. Additionally, if you shoot raw+JPEG, you can get more colour for selected shots if you need it.
ATJ

Postby Glen on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:22 am

Congrats on the gig John :up:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby wendellt on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:59 pm

hi john congratulations
if your shooting images that will be given to a pr person at the end of the day it seems like a press thing use adobe rgb wider gamut but theres not much difference between colour modes when things are getting printed in newspapers

as for post processing for press there should be minimal editing, like sharpen and curves, to maintain editorial integrity

wish you all the best
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby johnd on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:20 pm

I think I'll stick with sRGB. I probably won't do raw because I'll probably end up shooting thousands of images each day. They'll be absoluetly no time to PP them during the event and I'll never get around to any PP of thousands of images after the event. I agree Wendell, minimal PP for editorial integrity but also for practicality. Both the D3 and D300 do a pretty good job of jpgs straight out of the camera and I've found that I end up doing very little sharpening as a result in PP. The auto WB of these cameras is spot on as well. I'll work on getting the correct framing thru the viewfinder so that I won't need to crop as well. I think I'm convinced. No raw, no PP. But I'll take a laptop with Photoshop just in case. :)

Any sunrise, sunset shots will get some special treatment though as we'll be at some beautiful parts of Tasmania.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
johnd

Postby Raskill on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:08 pm

We used sRGB on the Kidney Kar Rally, but that was more of a decision to make sure all 3 shooters were using the same. A laptop with PS is a must, also LR 2. You can edit in LR2 while having a quick bite for lunch at some stage, then have a selection of images ready in the afternoon.

Hope you can post some images!

Break a leg (so to speak)... :lol:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby johnd on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:49 pm

Raskill wrote:We used sRGB on the Kidney Kar Rally, but that was more of a decision to make sure all 3 shooters were using the same. A laptop with PS is a must, also LR 2. You can edit in LR2 while having a quick bite for lunch at some stage, then have a selection of images ready in the afternoon.

Hope you can post some images!

Break a leg (so to speak)... :lol:

Thanks for that advice. I'll have the laptop with CS with me at all times. How much life do you get out of those laptop batteries again? Probaly more than I'll have spare time I reckon. I am able to post the images on my web site, so I see no reason why I can't link from here. Not permitted to sell or distribute without permission though. Keep an eye on the papers next week, hopefully you'll see some Mark Webber Challenge images with John Dargue as photographer.

Cheers
John
johnd

Postby who on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Good luck with it John.

You will be busy getting around with the Cradle Mountain, Barrington, Launceston, Hobart & Port Arthur sections in 5 days :lol:

And your laptop - probably 2-3 hours life out of the battery at a guess.
Old D200+extras
who

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions