Question about suitability of certain sigma lenses.

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Question about suitability of certain sigma lenses.

Postby bigsarg7 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi, Just wondering if any of these lenses would suit my Olympus e510 at all. A local is selling these off and i was wondering if they'd suit?

1x Sigma Tele/Standard Zoom Lens Filter size 58mm. lens is 18-50mm f3.5 – 5.6.

1 x Sigma 18-200mm f3.5 -6.3 Interchangable lens

1x Sigma DG 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 & 1x Sigma DC 18-50mm f3.5 -5.6 lens

If it says interchangeable does that mean it would suit any camera? silly question but i kinda need to know before i buy them. HEHEHE

Thanks and any help will be appreciated.
kristen
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: Question about suitability of certain sigma lenses.

Postby Glen on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Kristen, it all depends on the mount, these can come with a Nikon mount, Canon mount, etc depending on which camera you wish to mount the lens to. This is done at the factory, so the same lens can be built with a Canon mount or Nikon mount, etc. You obviously need the "Olympus" mount version, you haven't mention in this post what version they are.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby bigsarg7 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 pm

i'm unsure what mount they are, if they were olympus mounts would that then suit?
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby bigsarg7 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:40 pm

also, if i were to buy the lenses are the olympus mounts expensive to get to suit the lenses or am i best off not buying any of them?
bigsarg7

Postby ATJ on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Kristen,

You don't buy the mounts. As Glen says, the lens comes with the mount already there. You just need to make sure it is a mount for an Olympus.

A Sigma lens with an Olympus mount shouldn't cost any more or less than one with a Nikon or one with a Canon mount (although some places may not stock lenses with Olympus mounts as they sell less of them). Here's an example: Sigma 105mm Macro lens
Olympus: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... Macro.html
Nikon: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... Macro.html

Also note that "Interchangeable Lens" refers to the fact that you can put different lenses on your camera rather than one lens that fits different makes of cameras.
ATJ

Postby bigsarg7 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:43 pm

sorry about that, the local guy said nothing along those lines, he actually said I could buy the adapter for the lense, and once i brought it i wouldn't have to worry about the specifics of lense info and fittings etc. What an annoying person. I sound like a real goose, as i had discussed this in previous forums and felt that what he was saying was incorrect, I will however speak to him again and correct him, he may have been talking about something else, but i doubt it, Thanks. I really feel silly :? . Sorry everyone.

At least i feel a bit better knowing i was on the right track, next time i wont doubt myself!! hehehe :oops:
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Sounds like he was trying to scam you!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:55 pm

yeah i agree, he was seemingly too nice, i want to go speak to him but i'm not one for confrontation but he really made me feel a tad stupid. But i guess you get ppl like that some times. Thanks again for your input. :up:
bigsarg7

Postby Glen on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:26 am

Kristen, I doubt you could even find an adaptor. The most common adaptor is Nikon lens onto Canon, then everything else is harder to get after there. You would need one from whatever brand of mount his lens have to Olympus. These are less used in the digital age. Add to the fact that the lens you have described aren't really of the quality of being worth buying an adaptor for, I agree with Cameron he didn't have your best interest at heart. Keep a look out for lens in the Olympus mount, much rarer than Canon or Nikon but they do come up.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 am

bigsarg7 wrote:sorry about that, the local guy said nothing along those lines, he actually said I could buy the adapter for the lense, and once i brought it i wouldn't have to worry about the specifics of lense info and fittings etc. What an annoying person.

And what a load of crap.

Tamron used to sell lenses like that - the SP series, IIRC. You could buy the lens, and different adapters for different bodies. That was about 20 years ago.

And even before that, most lens manufacturers also made their lenses with a screw-on adapter - the T-Mount. I even have some T-Mount stuff, but in Nikon terms, it's pre-AI, which means > 20 years old.

As Glen and Cameron have said, just look for lenses that specify Olympus mount. Your best bet, by far, is to get Zuiko, which is the Olympus brand. It's a real shame that Olympus are no longer the Olympus of old: they truly made some great gear.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:44 pm

gstark wrote:Tamron used to sell lenses like that - the SP series, IIRC. You could buy the lens, and different adapters for different bodies. That was about 20 years ago.

It was the Adaptall and Adaptall-2 systems. I still have 2-3 lenses which I bought in around 1983 or 1984 using this system. At the time I had a Pentax LX and a Nikon FE2 and I could share the lenses between the 2 cameras. It didn't support AF or even CPU lenses.

Metz had a similar system with their flashes and you could get TTL adapters to suit different cameras.

:ot:
ATJ

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:55 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:Tamron used to sell lenses like that - the SP series, IIRC. You could buy the lens, and different adapters for different bodies. That was about 20 years ago.

It was the Adaptall and Adaptall-2 systems.

Of course it was. Thank you for that. :)

It didn't support AF or even CPU lenses.

No, and that is to be expected: the first Nikon AF wasn't released until the late 1980s. I think Minolta may have been the first cab off the rank with AF for SLR; I'm thinking 1985.

Metz had a similar system with their flashes and you could get TTL adapters to suit different cameras.

As did Sunpack: I still have a Sunpack with a Nikon adapter which I would have acquired for my FA in about 1988.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:05 pm

ATJ wrote:

It was the Adaptall and Adaptall-2 systems.

There is always the M42 and T-mount adaptors!

On the topic of Zuiko lenses, Olympus makes a 4/3rds adaptor and Leica makes a 4/3rds adaptor for their R-mount lenses as well.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions