Macro lens - Sigma?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Macro lens - Sigma?

Postby Chica on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:00 pm

I have been looking at purchasing a macro lens and I am interested in any opinions / experience relating to the Sigma Macro 105mm F2.8 and the Sigma 50mm. I have a D90 and my partner has a D700 and it would be good if we can share the lens. We are also open to suggestions on other good macro lenses. We would be looking at taking photos of bugs / flowers etc.

Cheers

Cathy
Chica

Re: Macro lens - Sigma?

Postby Matt. K on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:27 pm

Tamron 90mm F2.8 is a well known classic. Any second-hand Nikkor 55mm or 60mm macro lens is an economical way in without compromising quality. Also consider extension tubes that can be used with your existing lenses as another good alternative.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Chica on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks Matt. Where do tyou think SIgma lenses fit into the scheme in regards to quality?
Chica

Postby mickeyjuice on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:09 pm

If you google reviews on them, you'll find the Sigma macros are very well regarded. (I don't have a macro, but I've got a fair few other Sigmas, and I'm obviously very happy with them.)
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby kiwi on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Sigma 150, also known a the "bugma" is a great macro. I have the 180 as i don't like to be too close to the monsters.
Darren
Nikon D3 and Nikon Glass
kiwi

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Tamron 90 without a doubt.

Regarding the Sigma, do you feel lucky, punk?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:48 pm

I have the Nikon 105VR, and it is great both for Macro and as a general use short telephoto.

For bugs, a longer lens is better as you don't have to be in their face to shoot them. I would go to a 200 for nasty bugs, but long is good even for benign ones as they are less likely to be scared away.

At the budget end, tubes are an excellent way to go. Add them to almost any other lens. I have a Set of Kenko Tubes, and they work well with everything except the 18-200. They work on this too, but changing the focal length does strange things to the focus.

Another budget option is to reverse couple two otherwise ordinary lenses. I used to get excellent results with a 135mm reversed and taped to a 55mm lens (This was on a Pentax Spotmatic-F). Just attach one lens to the camera as normal, and tape the front of the second lens to the front of the first so that the objectives are looking at one another. You used to be able to get reversing rings to do this, but I found gaffer tape worked just as well. On modern lenses, you may need to fudge the second lens to get the diaphragm open.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Matt. K on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm not a lover of Sigma lenses. They used to be very budget priced and quality to match....they have improved over the years and many photographers are now quite happy with them. I tend to be prejudiced from my earlier experiences.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby chrisk on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:43 pm

the sigma 150 is the best macro i've ever owned. (including the nikon 105VR and tamron 90/2.8).
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Matt. K on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Rooz
As a Sigma user/owner you are well qualified to make that statement. I have to admit a 150mm macro sounds like a nice focal length/macro combination. It has been many years since I have used Sigma lenses but I know quite a few forum members who are in love with theirs. That's gotta be a good recommendation. :cheers:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby shakey on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:12 pm

The 90 mm Tamron is a great flower lens. I haven't had much success with it for bugs because you have to get so close. For those I use a close up lens on my telephoto.

If you seriously want to do bugs I cannot recommend the Tamron 90, but I lack the patience of some of those buggers.
shakey

Postby kiwi on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:43 pm

Well, i've heard nothing but +ve reports re the bugma, the af is slow but i'd think most macros were manually focussed in any case.My 180 is solid.
Darren
Nikon D3 and Nikon Glass
kiwi

Postby aim54x on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:56 pm

Also own the 180mm, beautiful focal length, but have a read of this before you do anything:
http://www.nnplus.de/macro/Macro100E.html

If your looking at around the 100mm focal length then I am with a large number of others and say GO THE TAMRON 90mm. If your looking at longer then consider the Tamron 180mm (as a macro awesome), Sigma 150mm (Rooz likes this one) and the Sigma 180mm (good macro, good telephoto prime)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 pm

I use the original Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D for bugs and other insects and have few problems at all. Being a shorter focal length, a tube will have a greater effect. What I mean is that if you out the same tube on a 60mm and a 105mm, you will get greater magnification from the 60mm.

The two main drawbacks with the 60mm are a) it can be difficult to get close to some flighty insects like butterflies and dragonflies; b) you tend to get more pleasing backgrounds with longer lenses because of the change in perspective and DOF. For these reasons a Sigma 150mm may better suit. I really want to get a Nikkor 200mm f/4 (when I can justify the cost and also find said lens).
ATJ

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions