Hi, newbie question. Have a D90, which lens next?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Hi, newbie question. Have a D90, which lens next?

Postby Chica on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi everyone!
I am a newbie to this website, and hoping to get some help from people who know about lenses!

I have just purchased a D90, with an 18-105mm lens and am wondering which lens to go for next. Im interested in travel photography, animals, landscapes.... the usual I guess. I used to own a Canon 350D and had a 75-300mm lens with that, which I enjoyed using.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Cathy
Chica

Re: Hi, newbie question. Have a D90, which lens next?

Postby dawesy on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:59 pm

Well welcome to the forum, I'm sure you shall enjoy your stay here. I can see you have read the FAQ and have a location in your profile, but generally for a capital city the admins prefer a suburb, or put in CBD Adelaide if you are in town. Just a little housekeeping thing that helps when organizing real world meets and such.

Well travel, landscape and animals are a fair range. Any favorites? For travel a good all rounder like you have is probably good so you can travel light. For landscapes you would be looking at a nice wide lens, but for animals, depending on what you are doing, something longer is going to be the go I suspect.

So I guess the question to you is which box do you want to tick first?
dawesy

Postby Chica on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi and thanks for the housekeeping tip! I think the boxes I want to tick first is a wide angle lens, as my bf has a 75-300mm lens that I can use whenever I want. I went out looking tonight and saw a Sigma 10-20mm that was nice, but I dont know if Im better of going for a Nikon lens.
Chica

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:34 am

Hi Cathy, and welcome.

The nearest equivalent Nikkor is very nice, but also not exactly cheap, given the number of fractures that the Pacific Peso keeps on getting every time that Humpty Dumpty pushes it off that wall, and it falls into a screaming heap.

The Sigma 10-20 is affordable, and about the best fun you can have with your camera, in public. It will make a good traveling companion for the 18-105.

The next box to be ticked then would be to determine if you need some reach, or if you prefer some low light capabilities. For the latter, grab the Nikon 50mm f/1.8. Light, fast, sharp, cheap.

For the reach, I'm probably thinking in terms of the 70-300, or else the 80-400VR.

And welcome. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Chica on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply. When I compared the costs of the equivalent Nikkor lenses last night, I thought the Sigma seemed to be good value, especially as I am just really starting out in the world of lenses!
Chica

Postby dawesy on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:36 am

As Gary says, everyone with a 10-20 loves it. I have taken a friends on a trip and it is a good lens, and great value. If are looking wide then it is a very good option.
dawesy

Postby who on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:18 am

I have the 10-20 and it is a great lens to use for certain shots - also, they quite often come up 2nd hand as people upgrade to other lenses (often the 14-24 Nikkor at >$2000).
Old D200+extras
who

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions