Reflector question

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Reflector question

Postby bigsarg7 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi all, just wondering if someone might be able to help me out and point me in the direction of where to get a Reflector from, i browsed ebay, theres one on there i'm interested in, but i would like to compare the cost of old vs new.
Thanks to all who have helped me out lately in regards to lenses, i have narrowed it down to 2 lenses, so my goal is to buy one in the near future so thanks again. Both with more glass (i understand now what it means heheh, gee i feel silly!! :oops: )
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: Reflector question

Postby who on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:30 pm

Online base or store?

I'd look at the usual suspects in Aus....

http://www.vanbar.com.au
http://www.qualitycamera.com.au

Spring to mind, there may also be Kayell, L&P and a few others with a pro focus in your area.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:44 pm

What sort of reflector?

For some very low cost options, you may wish to consider ...

From KMart, a windscreen sunshade. The ones that have a silver reflective surface. Folds up small, highly reflective, cheap as chups.

Also from KMart or a camping supply store, an emergency blanket. Folds up to nothing, reflective, cheap.

From Office Jerks, some foam core board. Get a couple of pieces, black on one side (subtractor), white on the other. Solid-ish, lightweight, cheap as chups.

A plain white sheet. Reflective, and can also act as a diffuser if placed between your subject and a bright light source, like old Sol.

In the over $20 bucket, there are some small, round, collapsible reflectors that you can buy through flEaBay. Some of these come in kits containing several different reflectors/diffusers. These are very serviceable, lightweight, inexpensive, and versatile.

Are we there yet?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jdear on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:37 am

For some high cost options, you may wish to consider...

cheap as chups

I paid over $400 for my last reflector - california sunbounce. Worth every $$ IMHO :D

Bought it from Adorama while our dollar was still playing nicely. Sunstudios Sydney (old baltronics) hire and sell them also (for about 2x the price!)

I also have the potato chip circular reflectors which compared to the sunbounce suck in every way. They are horrible in wind, hard to focus the light evenly and the fabric is not as durable (with the cheaper ebay reflector, the surface sheds off onto everything!). (I have the lastolite bottletop, lastolite triflip)

If you use reflectors as much as I do, you'll eventually find yourself going to a sunbounce - then wondering how you ever shot without one.
jdear

Postby DaveB on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:30 am

For simple mechanical things like reflectors, it could be worth also looking at Dragon Image who generally sell Chinese gear. Sometimes rougher around the edges than the more expensive American/European gear, but at a discount.
DaveB

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:45 pm

the 5 in one type give you flexibility if you are learning, but are a little heavier than say a two sided one. what size are your subjects? if you are talking bugs, then a white paper plate would work, but if you are talking full length portraits, then a bedsheet or 6x4 feet rectangular refelector works a treat.

tin foil inside a pizza box?

if you like outdoor portraits, the "zigzag" fabrics are nicer than too cold silver or too warm yellow gold.
Oz_Beachside

Postby bigsarg7 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:07 pm

wow, thanks all for your help, had some great ideas in there, i think i'll give em a try first see how they go, get used to using them more often then if i really want and or need i'll buy one. Sorry its taken so long to reply, been out with the family all weekend, at lest i got 1/2 an hour to do some prac shots. Thanks again everyone. Kris
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby Matt. K on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 am

Be aware that silver reflectors give a slightly cool light whilst gold reflectors give skin a nice bronzed tan. That's how the sexy femmes on the magazine covers get their healthy sun tanned looks.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bigsarg7 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:28 pm

wow, i had no idea about the gold coloured ones, i wondered why people used those ones in particular, so is there anyway of making my own one of those in a pizza box? heheh(joke)
Thanks Matt k.
bigsarg7

Postby Yi-P on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Also be aware of the silver one will generate excessive heat on its reflected light. People under its reflection can feel very uncomfortable in a hot weather day. And it can cause squinting eyes.

I believe if you focus properly with the circular silver reflector into a single point, you can end up cooking something. :shock:
Yi-P

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:06 pm

the zig zag fabrics (sometimes called soft gold) are printed half silver and gold, 3-5mm stripes, which give a nice "natural" color compared to silver or gold alone.

eg.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/4493-LastoFolded.jpg
Oz_Beachside

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions