A bad case of the shakes

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

A bad case of the shakes

Postby mozzie on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:44 pm

I love that there is a section for N00bs - because this is definately a N00Bish question.

I have really super shaky hands - and when i say this i mean in a medically demonstrated hereditary condition - mine arent so bad atm - althought sometimes i get shaky enough to find it difficult to write but those are rare.

But the prob i am having is to do with my 60mm macro - its a beautiful lens and i love it ...and i've always wanted to take awesome bug photos and flower photos and all those macros that i have wanted to do .. but i cant seem to steady my hand sufficiently to get photos that arnt blurry - even when shooting in bright light - sometimes if there is no wind or what not i can get fairly ok shots not crisp but decent. I can get stable non blurry photos if i use a flash - but i really dont like the flashed look - it ruins much of the effect that i am trying to get.

my partner suggested using a monopod or a tripod to do macros and while i guess that works in some cases mostly its not really a solution that i think is practical...he also suggested doing staged shots and again not really feasable as an option.

So basically just wondering if there are other options (other than giving up pursuing macros) ? because currently i am just getting very very frustrated
mozzie

Re: A bad case of the shakes

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:21 pm

There are a number of possible ways to address this issue.

The monopod and tripod are a couple of them, but yes, they can be impractical at times.

Using VR/IS technology may be another option to consider, albeit at some cost which might not be an option.

While you are describing a medical/hereditary condition, perhaps some attention to technique might (or might not) be of some use. How do you hold the camera/lens combination?

Start by just placing the camera with lens attached into your left hand, fingers facing to your right, palm up. the camera should fall naturally in your palm with your fingers forward of the main body. Use the fingers to grip your lens, the zoom ring, the focus ring, or the lens barrel, depending upon the lens itself. Now, with your right hand, take up the grip of the camera body. The weight of the camera should be supported by your left hand - this is important - and the right hand is used to operate controls, rather than hold and support the camera.

As you bring the camera up to your eye - supported in your left hand - keep your elbows in, pressed in against the side of your chest. This may not be entirely practical in portrait mode, but you should try to do this as best you can. This position should help you, as you are now bracing your arms against your body, and hopefully helping to reduce, if not eliminate, this problem.

That is the very basic hand holding technique, and it should be used regardless of whether you are holding the camera in landscape or portrait mode. This is a habit you should start to try to adopt.

In making an image, try to squeeze the shutter; do not jab, poke or press it. Just gently squeeze ... And perhaps try holding your breath while making the exposure. Some advocate exhaling first and then holding; others suggest inhaling and holding. Do what feels comfortable for you; the point here is to minimise body movement imposed by you breathing. :)

Getting back to the point of bracing your arms against your body, often you can find other things against which you may brace your arms. Fences, tree stumps, a handily placed rock that you can lean on or against may be put to use ... perhaps use a beanbag (small and light, portable) with a remote.

I'm sure others will offer their views too.

Try different things, and see what works for you.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Biggzie on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Garys covered that pretty well.

Have you had a good look at the tripods available.
Ive bought myself the Manfrotto 055xPro legs with the 486RC Ball head. This has a centre column that converts into a boom and the 3 legs can fold flat. So it is very positionable. They also have a lighter weight version called the 190xPro.
Manfrotto also have a 709 table top tripod which I beleive some people use for macro work.
Ive seen a couple of Velbon tripod models which are good for macro, but I found them too light weight for my gear.

Gary has mentioned a bean bag, which works well. There are also things like Table clamps. I have one which I use for staged macros & also as a window clamp in my car.

I went to my local hardware & got an assortment of bolts that fit the Tripod mount of my camera. Its a standard thread (which I cant remember) Ive attached my camera to a few different things overthe years.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Biggzie wrote:Manfrotto also have a 709 table top tripod which I beleive some people use for macro work.

The Manny TTT is a magnificent piece of work. :) Mine has a small ballhead. Certainly not suitable for serious pano work, but it is strong, light, and tiny. It can also be used as a tiny monopod.

Believe it or not, it can support a D70 with the 80-400VR attached. I have yet to try it with the D300 + MB-D10 + 80-400VR.

I went to my local hardware & got an assortment of bolts that fit the Tripod mount of my camera. Its a standard thread

Quarter inch by something pitch.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Its a standard thread (which I cant remember)

Quarter inch by something pitch.

Quarter Inch Whitworth. If it's in a hardware store, anything that says quarter inch (1/4") will be fine as they tend to just carry Whitworth (measured in inches) and Metric (which are in mm)

An Auto store is different as cars use AF, UNC, BSP, BSF etc, but rarely Whitworth. Though I did own an Austin A30... :D

I have also used bungie cords to hold the camera to a hand star picket.

I also get the shakes. For most things I support my left hand by holding it at the wrist with the right - I'm a leftie. Sadly not possible with a camera.

For macro work I definitely prefer a tripod. Between me wobbling, the subject waving in the breeze, and the shallow DOF, its just not on. Why all the movements NEVER cancel each other out, only Murphy knows.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby mozzie on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:28 pm

thanks for the technique advice Gary. I got told that stuff a while back but I've gotten out of the habit of keeping it in mind. I went out today and tried a bit more Macro work - Tucking the arms in does tend to help a bit and also i think if i am standing its easier for me than kneeling or lying down not sure what the cause of that is.

I might also look into a table top tripod - a friend's got the pod (the bean bag thing) and i'm planning on trying to borrow that frm him for a while to see how that goes......

Currently i think practice (LOTS of it) and really clsoe attention what i am doing might get me 1/4 of the way there - just got to find the other 3/4

heheh and yes i wish Murphy wud enlighten us alll :P
mozzie

Postby Chaase on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:40 pm

I realise this is out of left field but have you tried Yoga, specifically "Hatha Yoga"
It focuses on the breath and relaxation which may assist when setting your body to take the shot.
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby mozzie on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:17 pm

Chaase wrote:I realise this is out of left field but have you tried Yoga, specifically "Hatha Yoga"
It focuses on the breath and relaxation which may assist when setting your body to take the shot.

As strange as it maybe its not that left of centre as it may sound ---not exactly yoga but i tried Viapassana a while ago when i was dating a guy who was very into it. I was going through a particularly stressed out time and got to a point where i was having sevre tremors so thats when i took it up... Its also quite breathing oriented and it does help... never would have really thought to try using it in terms of photography but its actually a really fantastic idea - I will def give it a go... and i've been meaning to get back on track with it anyways

thanks for the advice!!!! :D
mozzie

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions