Second hand D200 with some hot pixels - should I be worried?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Second hand D200 with some hot pixels - should I be worried?

Postby JC_Denton on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:22 am

I bought a second hand D200 with about 6000 actuations that was apparently bought in mid 2006, the camera seems to be in
pretty good condition. It is pretty overwhelming to use as I am completely new to DSLRs, but I am learning pretty fast.

I have noticed in some of the pictures I have taken that there are some noticeable hot pixels. They seem to appear at
ISO 400 and above and their number and appearance ranges from 1 or 2 white ones to maybe 3 white ones and 2 - 4 green, blue and
red ones.

I am wondering if this just happens to sensors as they age and I should find a way around it, or should I ask the seller
for a refund and try and buy another?

after doing some web research it seems that using RAW will bypass the hot pixels if you use the right RAW software,
and also that the hot pixels can be remapped. Is it possible to remap the pixels out yourself or does it need to be done by
a service center?

A less important but annoying issue I am having is that the camera smells quite strongly of womens perfume. The manual says
to only use pure water to clean it but I am wondering if there is anything else I could use that would be more effective at
removing the scent without damaging the casing.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated.
JC_Denton

Re: Second hand D200 with some hot pixels - should I be worried?

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:33 am

Hot pixels are generally speaking a non-issue. You can typically only see them when you view an image at full size, and that should happen very infrequently, and even less often when printing your images. (think about the size that you print the images at)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Could you post an example?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby JC_Denton on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:37 pm

Could you post an example?

I took this with the lens cap on at ISO 400, 1/2 second exposure. You will probably need to view it at 1:1 pixel size to see all the hot pixels.
I count approximately six hot pixels, Pixelfixer software finds 19 at its lowest threshold of 200 and 10 at a threshold of 600.

Is this 'a lot' of hot pixels to have?
If it is an unusually high amount I may try and get a refund from the seller as I bought this based on its apparently good condition.

Does having this number of hot pixels indicate that I am likely to have a problem with an increasing number of them?

The perfume smell has started to fade away now the camera has been out of its box for a while. I asked in a new and used photographic equipment shop what would be good for cleaning the rubber
and their technician recommended "Armor All" on a cotton bud - I think the "Multi-Purpose Cleaner" is the right one, but I am not sure.
JC_Denton

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions