Saving for web vs printing

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Saving for web vs printing

Postby snappd on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Ok, so you have probably seen the mess I made of my first few image posts......they were all fuzzy & not indicative of the real photos. I did however redeem myself by trying out the 'save for web' function in CS3, with a pretty significant improvement...... & re-posting the results.

What I would like to know is....what does the 'Save for web' function actually do? All I did in the SFW dialogue box was go to image resize & select 800 on the long side, upped the image quality to 90, & hit save. Is this the right thing to do, or are there other methods or more steps to really making my images look good on the net.....apart from being a better photographer :lol:

I would be interested in hearing what others do to save for web & what they do differently for saving for print?
I'm guessing that DPI has a great deal to do with it as the shots I uploaded originally were cropped & saved at 300 DPI (should they have been left at 72?), then just using photobucket uploader resized to fit a 17" screen & hitting upload.

Thanks
Last edited by snappd on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
400D - Sigma 17-70 macro - Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS
mono & tripod & a bunch of other little stuff
Wishlist: canon 50mm f1.4 & canon 70-200 f2.8 ....& one day a better camera to put them on :-)
snappd

Re: Saving for web vs printing

Postby chrisk on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 pm

snapped, i was referred to the below program for resizing and i think its brilliant.
http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

its free, easy to use, allows simple borders, reliable, has clever features and best of all its very fast.

so, my workflow basically...

edit the RAW photo first; save as, (in highest quality), to a FINAL JPEG folder for printing and/ or customer supply.

once i finish a shoot, i load em all up from the FINAL JPEG folder using the resizer as a single batch for all the photos and output them to a RESIZED folder.

easy peasy. :)
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby snappd on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks for that Rooz, I have ACDSee which has similar batch processing capabilities & also very easy to use, what do you do though if you need to crop an image, do you crop it in the "resized" folder using the crop tool with the dpi at 300 for printing, or do you leave it at 72?

I have been doing it this way..... crop to the size I want at 300dpi, edit, then "save as" into an "edited" folder, or sometimes I use CTRL A to select the whole photo, then "transform selection" & "image crop" to keep the original dimensions & dpi. Then if I need to print it I use the crop tool as above, changing the dpi to 300.

Not sure what other people do, but any suggestions for streamlining the workflow would be much appreciated...
Wishlist: canon 50mm f1.4 & canon 70-200 f2.8 ....& one day a better camera to put them on :-)
snappd

Postby chrisk on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

i dont know what dpi is, i'll leave that to others. i have never changed that setting...i dont even know where to find it ! lol
to answer your question, all my editing is done in my usual editor, (captureNX2), including cropping.

i dont convert anything to web until its fully edited.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby radar on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:19 pm

For landscape photos, the method outlined below works pretty good.

http://pacificnw.naturephotographers.ne ... toshop.htm

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:41 am

DPI is only relevant when printing. It does not have consequence on a monitor.
Saving an image 800px long @ 72dpi or at 300dpi will appear the same on screen - but will print differently.

If you are looking to print your image, resizing to the correct pixel size is advised.
The formula I use to determine this size is:

[inch length] x [dpi required] = pixel value for long edge
and
[inch short] x [dpi required] = pixel value for short edge

eg, for an 8" x 12", printed at 300dpi:
8 x 300 = 2400 pixels
12 x 300 = 3600 pixels

The same photo printed at 72dpi (which would be far less than ideal for an 8"x12") would need a pixel size of
8 x 72 = 576 pixels
12 x 72 = 864 pixels

Generally, when you start printing at larger sizes, the dpi can afford to be lowered from 300dpi (as the viewing distance should be greater and the larger printed pixels should not be noticable (at that greater distance).

Again, this is ONLY relevant to printing images.
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:45 am

One thing that "Save For Web" does that I find quite annoying is that it strips out the EXIF data.
The camera records details on how the picture is taken (ISO, Speed, F Stop etc) I add my details, and where the picture was taken, then "Save for Web" takes it all away.

I prefer to get the picture how I want it; Save (to keep the changes in high res), then change Mode and image size as required then SaveAs JPG for uploading.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby snappd on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 pm

Thanks for the input everyone...

DPI is only relevant when printing. It does not have consequence on a monitor.

This makes me wonder then, why did my photos look different the second time? would it have something to do with the fact that when I originally uploaded using photobuckets bulk uploader I did not resize them at all, as you can do that in the uploader? should I have resized to the required 800 pixels on the long side first?

One thing that "Save For Web" does that I find quite annoying is that it strips out the EXIF data.

Yes that would be annoying Greg, I didn't even realize it did that.

then change Mode and image size as required then SaveAs JPG for uploading

Sorry for my ignorance Greg, but what do you mean here when you say change mode?

I appreciate your help everyone thanks...
snappd

Postby soarer on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Some great advice on printing, i had no idea.

Also just downloaded faststone and its a very fast resizer, good for me as it can add a watermark and also a plain black border :cheers:
Olympus E-3, 14-54mm f2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamt
soarer

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions