which tripod to buy?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

which tripod to buy?

Postby lukipelaa on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:14 am

been reading around and u guys seem to recommend manfrotto more?

eg

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/di ... 1235_.html

but how about this?

but based on load capacity the manfrotto loses out? but based on carrying around it's better?

sorry but i was just wondering do u guys have anything else to recommend for my $80+ budget?

thanks
lukipelaa

Re: which tripod to buy?

Postby pjs on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:54 am

Read this:
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
It should answer all your questions, including some you haven't thought of yet.

Basically you need a stable platform to sit your camera on that can be a handy fence post or a $5000 tripod.

Where you stop in the middle is up to you.
Personally I went down Thom's $1700 route.
I have two Velbons, a few no names and a $600 Gitzo with a $500 RRS head on it.
Guess which one I actually use for my camera!

Things to look at:
Is portability an issue
- how heavy is it? generally, the lighter it is the less stable. Good design and choice of materials can alter this. But Carbon fibre is more expensive than Aluminium
- How compact is it folded. If it needs to go into a backpack or suitcase a lot, a compact design is good. Otherwise more compact = less stable and more expensive.
What height is it in use. (don't forget the camera height in this) DO you need to stretch or stoop to use the camera? YOu can always lower a tall one, but you are paying for that extra height.
How low will it go. If you have a need for low level shots (e.g. macro) you need to get your camera close to the ground
Locking mechanism - do the legs slip? Is it likely they will in a year?

The most important question: how stable is it in use? Put your camera on it with your biggest lens, or borrow your wish lens from the camera store. does it droop or wobble?

Remember, a good tripod will outlast any number of cameras. And you get what you pay for.

EDIT: and don't trust the published figure for weight handling. The manufacturers are trying to sell you their tripod. Some companies are known to be optimistic. Try the tripods out yourself.
pjs

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:08 am

lukipelaa wrote:do u guys have anything else to recommend for my $80+ budget?

Get a beanbag.

For PP80 you'll just be wasting your money.

The question is: how many tripods do you want to buy, and how much do you really thnk your $80 tripod will cost you?

If you buy one for $80, when you find that one is unsatisfactory, you'll then go and get one for $150. Then you'll find that one is not good either, so you'll get one for around $250.

Then you'll decide that while that one is way better than the other two, it's too heavy, and the head doesn't quite work as it should. So you'll go and get a decent head for a couple of hundred, and some reasonable legs for $300.

Thus your total budget for your $80 tripod has blown out to around $1000.

And please: fix up your location in your profile. Just "Adelaide" is not acceptable. Please read the FAQ, please read the section on the portal page for new members (it's at the top of the page and bloody hard to miss, IMHO).

Cheers.

Or you can just make the correct decision, make it just once, and buy the correct one now.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:23 am

I am with the above, wait it out and buy something better, something long term. In saying that you dont need to spend in the 1000's I am very happy with me Manfrotto 055PROB + 322RC2, but at the same time this is after buying a very unsatisfactory $100 tripod (prior to my forum days). The sandbag/pod should be looked into.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby lukipelaa on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:11 pm

ok this is actually quite scary, i just wanted something to start out first cos im new with the dslr cam at the moment. and i dont exactly have a few bills to throw around but i do understand the logic of buying something good to last a longer period of time. all i needed was something to take landscapes and night shots without caring about how low can i go (sound like an ignorant fool for saying this).

and btw what do u guys mean abt buying a beanbag?

*ps* changed my location. sorry abt it!**
lukipelaa

Postby radar on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:44 pm

lukipelaa,

bean bag is something like this:
http://kgear.com/r/
You can also make your own, it's basically a bag filled with bean/rice/sand/etc.

If you want a tripod now, go an buy one of the two that you are looking at. Sure it won't last a lifetime if you start taking your photography more and more seriously. Just be aware that the $100 you spend now can be viewed as money you spent on experience :wink:

I fully support, no pun intended, the view that you really need a good tripod to get those sharp shots. I have a couple nice tripods to prove it. Sometimes finances get in the way. My first tripod was an el-cheapo aluminium job but I still managed to get some nice shots with it, once I had the extra money saved, I got a really nice one.

Another option is for you to get yourself a gorillapod, like the one below. With one of those, you can wrap the gorilla pod around something solid to give you something more stable.

As for what I use, I have a benro carbon when I want to go light and an induro for a larger more sturdy setup and I don't have to carry it for kms on end.

HTH,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:49 pm

and btw what do u guys mean abt buying a beanbag?

Bean bags can be bought, but it is easy to make your own.
Get a cloth bag (e.g. a throw away from packaging)
partly fill it up with beads/foam pellets, rice or similar.
Stitch/staple it up.
This will now serve as a stable platform to rest your camera on.
It works surprisingly well (well not so surprising really - I've sat in beanbags & had difficulty getting out)

Then save your money till you can afford the tripod of your dreams. Remember you are already 10% on the way to it by not buying the cheapie. PS I dislike TLAs + esp OLAs. This is the internet, not a mobile phone.
There are users here for whom English is not their primary language. If a word is not in the dictionary, they may miss its meaning

PPS Three Letter Acronyms and One lLetter Acronyms
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:03 pm

When we say a beanbag, we mean literally that (almost). This comes to mind:
http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php?id=129.78.64.1011223009571&brand=The-pod&user=&end=1&Item1=TRIPOD&Item2=PRO-HEADS&Item3=The-POD

For the sake of usefulness I would go the Silver series.

BUT if you really need a tripod, then look at the Manfrotto 190XDB + 804RC2 (I know ppl will attack me for this recommendation, but it is a good, solid tripod kit that will take most kits and has the bonus of being relatively cheap as well)

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/readmore.php?product_id=59451&id=129.78.64.1011223009571&user=&Item1=TRIPOD&Item2=PRO&Item3=MANFROTTO-KITS

Hope this helps. I do understand that this is a little scary how some of us can justify spending lots ($$$$$$$$) on a tripod.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:PS I dislike TLAs + esp OLAs. This is the internet, not a mobile phone.

Quite correct. In fact, this is specifically mentioned in the FAQ. One day I'll come down on somebody for abuse of this rule. I try to be patient benevolent, and forgiving, however. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stetner on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:21 pm

pjs wrote:Read this:
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
It should answer all your questions, including some you haven't thought of yet.

So true, so true.
So many toys, so little time....
stetner

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:40 pm

gstark wrote:
Mr Darcy wrote:PS I dislike TLAs + esp OLAs. This is the internet, not a mobile phone.

Quite correct. In fact, this is specifically mentioned in the FAQ. One day I'll come down on somebody for abuse of this rule. I try to be patient benevolent, and forgiving, however. :)

So do I as a rule. I suspect I am coming down with Pam's flu. Bear with me.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby BullcreekBob on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 pm

gstark wrote:... I try to be patient benevolent, and forgiving, ...

Gary,

Not only are you a saint, you are *my* role model.

I just want to keep my hair :)
BullcreekBob

Postby photohiker on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:54 pm

I only agree with this buy once philosophy up to a point.

And that point is that it's fine to buy a $80 tripod as long as you buy it with your eyes open, knowing that if this hobby takes hold, you'll be looking for another, better tripod real soon. :)

Also keep in mind that the cheapie will be useful for other stuff long after you stop using it for your camera. I still have mine, and it's real handy for drying my trousers, and it occasionally gets used as a lightstand to hold the flash when I'm forced to take passport photos. At any other time, it's my hatstand. :D

Michael
photohiker

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 pm

photohiker wrote:And that point is that it's fine to buy a $80 tripod as long as you buy it with your eyes open,

Which is the real point behind my post. One needs to fully understand that, for instance, the free tripod that you might get in a Ted's or Michael's "enthusiast kit" is not the type of tripod that any real enthusiast would choose, and that it is worth precisely the number of Pacific Pesos that you have paid for it.

Also keep in mind that the cheapie will be useful for other stuff long after you stop using it for your camera.

Provided that it still has three legs, and that they each still point substantively towards the centre of the earth, that their leg segments are still connected to one another, that the head hasn't fallen off, that it hasn't lost too many circlips ....

:)

BullcreekBob wrote:
gstark wrote:... I try to be patient benevolent, and forgiving, ...

Gary,

Not only are you a saint, you are *my* role model.

I just want to keep my hair :)

Bob,

I feel so humbled ....
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:08 pm

and it occasionally gets used as a lightstand to hold the flash

My velbons get used for this too, though more than occasionally. The no names are junk even as hat stands.

Also, though I started the "buy once" line above, I am also aware that a cheap tripod is far superior to no tripod.
I am just reluctant to recommend one. Go in with your eyes open.

I know a lot of users here swear by their Benro (the legs, not the head!), and Manfrotto are the same company as Gitzo these days.
I had my RRS head mounted on one of the Velbons for quite a while before I coughed up for the Gitzo. That made a huge difference to it.
There was also some 30 years between the first pod and the Gitzo. That's a lot of use for the cheapies.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby DaveB on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:14 pm

aim54x wrote:look at the Manfrotto 190XDB + 804RC2 (I know ppl will attack me for this recommendation, but it is a good, solid tripod kit that will take most kits and has the bonus of being relatively cheap as well)

The 190 legs are OK for beginners, but the 804RC2 head is something that most people would want to upgrade sooner rather than later. It has two main issues:
  • It's a 3-way tilt-head, which compared to even a simple ballhead such as a Manfrotto 486 can be a pain to use.
  • Those levers stick out a long way. If you really want a 3-way head I'd suggest looking at something like the Manfrotto 460MG or 056.
  • It uses the Manfrotto "quick-release" system. Maybe OK for a beginner, but you'll probably want to upgrade to a real QR system sooner or later.
Go to Manfrotto's web site and download their current catalogue. It provides a reasonable overview of their products, although obviously it won't tell you things like why a different manufacturer's gear may be better for you. ;)
Same with Gitzo's catalogue, and RRS's, etc. In the end you may end up with a mixture of gear from different manufacturers.

FWIW (sorry: For what it's worth) my own camera supports are:
  • Monopod - Manfrotto 479-4B (current equivalent: 680B) with 234 tilthead (and Kirk A-S clamp on top).
  • Main tripod - Gitzo GT3541XLS with Manfrotto 438 levelling base and Arca-Swiss B-1 ballhead.
  • Travel and/or car-boot/emergency tripod - Feisol CT-3402 with Manfrotto 308 ballhead (with Kirk A-S clamp on top).
Oh, and a beanbag!
DaveB

Postby Matt. K on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:21 pm

An excellent alternative tripod is the Benro range. They are bloody good value and will hold a camera as well as a Gitzo (takes cover).
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:05 pm

DaveB wrote:The 190 legs are OK for beginners, but the 804RC2 head is something that most people would want to upgrade sooner rather than later. It has two main issues:
  • It's a 3-way tilt-head, which compared to even a simple ballhead such as a Manfrotto 486 can be a pain to use.
  • Those levers stick out a long way. If you really want a 3-way head I'd suggest looking at something like the Manfrotto 460MG or 056.
  • It uses the Manfrotto "quick-release" system. Maybe OK for a beginner, but you'll probably want to upgrade to a real QR system sooner or later.

That is true, that head is bulky and the QR is not the best in the world, but they do get the job done at a reasonable price. There are plenty of better combinations, but this is one that is easy to get your hands on and is good for the price, and for a lot of people, it is what is needed and most suited. Not everyone needs/can afford the bigger tripods.

Give me a 055 MF3 + 468 head any day but look at the price difference.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Also worth noting that the Manfrotto gear sells second hand for good prices on ebay.

I sold my collection of Manfrotto heads early this year to fund a new Markins M20 ballhead: a couple of them sold near new price, one of them sold for more than I paid for it. The (crappy for me) 3 way head that came with the 055 legs sold very well, people are searching out and competing (!!) for some of this gear...

Yes, overall I still burned a few dollars on the deal, but far, far less than if I left the old gear at the bottom of the cupboard...

Michael
photohiker

Postby DaveB on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:14 pm

aim54x wrote:That is true, that head is bulky and the QR is not the best in the world, but they do get the job done at a reasonable price. There are plenty of better combinations, but this is one that is easy to get your hands on and is good for the price, and for a lot of people, it is what is needed and most suited. Not everyone needs/can afford the bigger tripods.

Fair enough. You'll notice I didn't go so far as to say "don't get the 804RC2". I did want to help lukipelaa at least be aware of why people might rail against that head. For many uses I think the 486RC2 would be better (the 488RC2 would be better still with its separate pan control, but will cost more) and doesn't cost much more.

As has been pointed out, actually getting (and using!) a tripod/head is an important part of working out exactly what tripod gear you want longer-term. Given Michael's comments about Manfrotto gear keeping its value, maybe this (a set of 190 legs with a basic head) is a better option than store specials. By avoiding a tripod with integrated head, you can experiment with different configurations over time.
DaveB

Postby lukipelaa on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:41 am

thanks for the help guys. will go to the shops and have a play around.

no offence to anyone but this forum does get overly competitive in giving solutions.. not that i'm complaining :D
lukipelaa

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:38 am

Matt. K wrote:An excellent alternative tripod is the Benro range. They are bloody good value and will hold a camera as well as a Gitzo (takes cover).

As this was a Tripod head, I didn't mention monopods.
I have a Benro monopod so who am I to cast the first stone? :D

Of course, in my case, the mono gets much less use than the tri.
So I am less fussed by the poorer quality. And it is!
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby MATT on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:43 am

lukipelaa wrote:thanks for the help guys. will go to the shops and have a play around.

no offence to anyone but this forum does get overly competitive in giving solutions.. not that i'm complaining :D

You are right there, but I think the message seems universal. If $80 is you budget, search out some second hand gear if possible.Maybe trawl the pawnshops. ebay is not the best place for this.You used to be able to get a bargain but those day a few and far between.Camera accessories are like a hobby on their own.

I bought ( what I could afford at the time) a cheapy with a ball head, it held my d70 and 18-70 just(head kept drooping).. So I grabbed a Benro KB-1 ball head and mounted that on my cheap legs. For the price it does the job. Then I saved some more cash and grabbed a set of secondhand 055pro legs(this all took 3 years). So this setup seems fine with a 80-400 and D300 hanging off it. But the setup is heavy. I use my old set for my daughter and as a flash stand so I don't see it as a waste.

Good luck

MATT
MATT

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions