Pentax K1000 cleaning and repair

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Pentax K1000 cleaning and repair

Postby cinedependent on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:13 pm

My primary camera now is a Nikon D50 and I will be upgrading to a D300 this Christmas. My main camera before going digital and which I still sometimes use, is the fully manual Pentax K1000.

I love my K1000 and as they no longer make it, it's a bit of a classic camera. I have somehow managed to get schmutz on my prism. I checked the mirror and the ground glass screen, but could not find a way to get access to the prism.
I tried unscrewing some screws and ended up losing to really tiny ones that hold the photo counter cover on. I still have 1, so it's not going to fall off, but I'd like to get the schmutz removed and the screws replaced. Where would a good, inexpensive place in Sydney be to get this done? I have a good relationship with Photo Riesel, but don't know if they do repairs or if their prices would be reasonable.

A side note: They have been very good to me though. I purchased a dual coated Hoya polarizing filter and it was defective. It somehow got dirt between the layers and could not be cleaned. They sent it back buy Hoya didn't have any in stock so they upgraded me to a top of the line B+W SMC polorizer with which I am very happy and it is easy to clean.

A second question: I have purchased lens cleaning fluid but so far as I can tell, water or as a last resort moisture from ones breath and a microfiber cloth does the trick better. I use the breath on the lens method for my glasses and that has worked well for me as well. What do you all use to clean fingerprints, or dirt from your lenses?

Thanks,

Timothy
TM
Timothy Mathews
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Love may be deep, sex only has to go a few inches"
cinedependent

Re: Pentax K1000 cleaning and repair

Postby Big Red on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 pm

You could try the pentax agents, C.R.Kennedy
Office Location
108-114 Miller St
Pyrmont NSW 2009
E-mail: Contact Us
Main Reception / Photographic
Tel: (02) 9552 8300
Fax: (02) 9552 8399
Email: Contact Us

I have some Kodak lens cleaning fluid and lint free lens cleaning tissues that i use for lenses.
moisten 1 tissue and wipe over lens, dry off and polish with another tissue.

seems to work good for me.
Big Red

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions