Format new memory cards critical?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Format new memory cards critical?

Postby whitey on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi

Let me start by saying I always format a new memory card. NOt sure why though.

Anyway need to know if its critical to do this.

The wife flew out to India for a few weeks yesterday, the Ixus 400 died as she was packing I was just cheking it out making sure it was charged and it died.

Anyway she is now in Delhi with a new Ixus 70 and 4GB card. She is not technical and I only wanna hassle her about formatting the card if its truely required.
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Re: Format new memory cards critical?

Postby mickeyjuice on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:15 pm

I format the card every time I put it back into the camera.
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:18 pm

The manuals always require it - I think it is advisable.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby mansunzz on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:43 pm

hi all, never formatted my cards before i used them for cameras. in my humble opinion, it's not important.
mansunzz

Postby team piggy on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:23 pm

I now always format the cards after each clearing.

I found issues especially where I would put a card unformatted into a D200 after being in a D70, and I couldnt retrieve any pctures.
Stopped the issue when I started formatting upon each new (Empty) card insertion.
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:52 am

mansunzz wrote:hi all, never formatted my cards before i used them for cameras. in my humble opinion, it's not important.

If you want to maximise the available space on your cards, it is important.

Deleting images works in a very different way from formating, and the space is reserved and preserved and unavailable to you to be used until there is no other free space on the card. This can lead to file fragmentation on the card, which in turn leads to a reduction in usable space, as well as an impairment in your performance.

So, if you consider that the available space on your cards is unimportant, or if you consider that the performance of your cards is unimportant, then yes, I can see that you may be correct.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Pehpsi on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Once I'm done with the shots, I put the card back in the cam then format it.
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:26 pm

I have read that one of the reasons it is better to format in camera is that the FAT matches the camera. For that reason incamera formatting is preferred, as there would be no point in formatting the CF card in your brand new quad core computer at FAT32 or similar, then putting the card into your D100 which may use FAT12. That may explain Piggy's point as well, I am sure FAT would have changed with card sizes between a D70 and D200. So the idea of formatting is to ensure the card is formatted in a manner your camera can read.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:51 pm

I always format in camera :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions