old negatives to disc

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

old negatives to disc

Postby Big Red on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:37 pm

I was just wondering how you go about scanning old negatives [not slides] and putting them on to disc ?

or is it better to scan the old 6 x 4 prints ?

these are from 1980 ish and are colour.
Big Red

Re: old negatives to disc

Postby Antsl on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:56 pm

For the hell of it.. see if you can borrow a slide copier with a mount that will let you fold film strips in it... then photograph the negatives, import them into Photoshop, invert the files and then apply curves to it using the highlight, shadow and neutral eyedropper tools. It will probably be quicker than scanning all those negatives ... assuming that you have a lot of them. My advice would be then to scan just the images that you really feel compelled to produce at a larger size sometime. :P Should mean less work for you. Cheers, A
Antsl

Postby ATJ on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Shane,

If you have access to a film scanner or a flatbed scanner capable of scanning negs (like the Epson V700), you will be able to get better quality from the negs because the "orginals" won't already be "copies". That said, it may be more difficult to get accurate colours etc. from the negs, although having the prints available will certainly help.

If you only have a flatbed scanner, then scanning the prints is the only alternative.
ATJ

Postby rcg on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:33 pm

Or check out what it would cost you to get your local lab to do it that way it's no hassle to you. We just charge the cost of the CDs at the mini lab i work at
rcg

Postby big pix on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:54 pm

send then down and I will do them........ but at a price....... you will end up with 70meg Tiff files. if the quality of the negs are good you will be able to do enlargements from the digital files....... have just finished 200+ for a client, negs and transparencys...... I was amazed at the quality of the digital files I was getting.....
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Big Red on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:11 pm

i dont even know where they are but didn't know if you could save them to disc or not.

will have to go through them and see if any snapshots are worth looking at.

old girlfriends, cars, bikes etc
Big Red

Postby big pix on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 pm

I have just saved and retouched some very early 1900's B&W negs for a client....... cars and bikes are a must to save...... old girl friends I may do for free....... depends :shock: :wink:
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions