Pistol grip heads

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Pistol grip heads

Postby Myrtle on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:29 am

A few of you warned me off getting the pistol grip head when I mentioned it in my "Vanbar" post - would like more info please :D as I used one the other day and found it really good and it appeared to be steady etc.
Have just ordered the Manfrotto 190XProB and 804 head combo - there's so many heads out there - what do you suggest, is there a better head??? Uses will include: Macro, landscape, people.

TIA

Linda
Myrtle

Re: Pistol grip heads

Postby gstark on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Linda,

The issue is that when you release the grip - in order to set the head - your hand, in doing the actual release, will move the head from your desired position, and thus you have to start again. Do this three or four times, and the frustration does start to set in.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:21 pm

At the risk of offending some folk....I know very few pros who use the pistol grips because they tend to eventually slip and creep with heavy loads over time. However....that was some time ago and they may have improved considerably since then. Most pros use a good quality ballhead for reliability and ease of use. The Benro tripods and heads are good value for the money. Gitzo and Markin much better but very expensive. There are a lot of discussions on this forum in relation to this subject so search and read. PS....Buy quality the first time and never have to buy again.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Oneputt on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:14 pm

I actually use one on my monopod where I find it really comes in to it's own. Did not like it on a tripod though for the very reasons already mentioned.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Myrtle on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Matt. K wrote:There are a lot of discussions on this forum in relation to this subject so search and read.

:oops: Ooops - forgot about the search function - gone for a cruise around - thanks

Also thanks for the input everyone :D

Linda
Myrtle

Postby adam on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:24 am

gstark wrote:Linda,

The issue is that when you release the grip - in order to set the head - your hand, in doing the actual release, will move the head from your desired position, and thus you have to start again. Do this three or four times, and the frustration does start to set in.

This is my exact annoyance with the 322RC2 I've got :(
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:59 am

Oneputt wrote:I actually use one on my monopod where I find it really comes in to it's own. Did not like it on a tripod though for the very reasons already mentioned.

Using one on a monopod is not something that I've actually considered. Certainly, the issues that I've seen with this style of head would be less of an issue when used in this manner, and this may well be a valid use.

I have a rubber head - much like an engine mount - that came with my Manfrotto monopod, and that is certainly very flexible to use, in every sense of the word. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:32 am

Matt. K wrote:I know very few pros who use the pistol grips because they tend to eventually slip and creep with heavy loads over time.

This is one amateur that uses a pistol grip out of default - it is the only head we have. Whilst it can be tightened, I find it is a frustrating head to use.For example, if I wanted to take an image of the moon, particularly using a long lens, I would need to aim the lens slightly above the moon, let go of the grip, and hope I have allowed enough for the "droop" in the grip to settle the lens to point where I want it to.

Of course, this grip is betwix 15-20 years old.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:27 am

i think its important to first understand what you are shooting, and with what gear?

for me, if I am shooting people, and need to quickly move the head to reframe, then the quick release heads are great. however, the limitation is the grip strength.

I have one of these;
http://www.pictureline.com/products/257/Manfrotto_322RC2_Grip_Action_Ball_Head/
they have changed the design with this model, to lower the weight of the camera closer to the ball, thus reducing the "flex" action that gary refers to (which is certainly a problem with a medium/heavy glass on the older pistol grips).

if I put heavier/longer glass on (say 70-210) I will need to wind up the tension inside the grip, so it holds, but this also requires more user grip strength too.

so I use this for people (90% of my work) and the old/simple 141 head for landscape (easier to adjust more accurately).

having said all that, I wish I had some kind of L bracket that would hold a D200+grip with a 28-70 beast in portrait mode... :(
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oneputt on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:36 am

My CR322 actually works quite well on the monopod as I use it as a handle to control the setup.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Myrtle on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks everyone - there's definitely some food for thought here - muchly appreciated.

Linda :D
Myrtle

Postby jdear_89 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:08 am

I have the 804 RC2 on the pro 190b legs and its great. I mainly use it for landscapes and it does the treat. It is a bit of weight but its extremely stable and the head is easy to use. I find that its a good weapon too, if i never needed to use it in that way :P...
Cheers James
Canon 30D, Canon 17-55 f/2.8,Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 580exII
"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open"
jdear_89

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions