Getting a dslr 'serviced'

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Getting a dslr 'serviced'

Postby whitey on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Ok. Time for my next noob question.

Am tossing up between a used body maybe a D200 and a new D80.

If I buy used should I budget in the cost of a 'service' by Nikon - get the sensor cleaned amd makr sure everything is ship shape. If so what sort of money would I expect to pay.

Or should I just start shooting and only take it in if its broke.
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Re: Getting a dslr 'serviced'

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Very good question. And the answer is, it depends.

If you know the history of the second-hand camera (eg, you bought it from someone on this forum whom you know looked after it), I wouldn't bother. I'd keep the money for some more glass.

If you take your camera to a service centre, you are going to be without it for a couple of weeks. D you want to do that right after you bought it?

Even if you weren't sure of the camera's condition, I would still be inclined to use it immediately, and look for any photographic evidence of a dirty sensor or something more serious. Actually, most people can easily clean a sensor, so once again, I wouldn't pay for a service just for that.

I'd want to see something like a focus issue or camera malfunction before I went ahead with a service. And then, I'd ask for a quote first, even if there is a fee for the quote.

Hope that is helpful in your deliberations.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby whitey on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi cricketfan, definately helpful.

From what you have said I dont think I'll bother with a service.

Definately dont want to be the camera for a few weeks. Would plan to be using it every spare minute I have.

Cheers mate
whitey

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:52 pm

deadgoose wrote:Or should I just start shooting and only take it in if its broke.

Exactly.

Trevor's answer is spot on. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:14 pm

deadgoose
Nikon digital SLR cameras record the number of times the shutter has been activated in their software. Before buying a secondhand camera ask the owner to take a pic of yesterdays front page of a newspaper and send the file to you. Download APANDA powerexif (it's free) and determone how many times the shutter has been fired. Anything under 20,000 is normally a good buy. certainly better than one that has 80,000 shots on the meter. A service is not required unless there is a problem with the camera.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby whitey on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Matt, thanks for that tip
whitey

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:43 pm

That's OK...That's OK...That's OK... :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby shakey on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:14 am

Matt. K wrote: Download APANDA powerexif (it's free) and determone how many times the shutter has been fired. Anything under 20,000 is normally a good buy. certainly better than one that has 80,000 shots on the meter. A service is not required unless there is a problem with the camera.

Actually OPANDA.
If the seller will do a newspaper shot for you, you could also ask the seller to do a sky shot, or white paper shot, to check out how clean the sensor is...if it's dirty Matt might clean it for you... :lol:
shakey

Postby whitey on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:08 am

shakey wrote:
Actually OPANDA.
If the seller will do a newspaper shot for you, you could also ask the seller to do a sky shot, or white paper shot, to check out how clean the sensor is...if it's dirty Matt might clean it for you... :lol:

Thanks shakey was hoping to learn how to clean the sensor at one of the meets. May even have a go by myself if required
whitey

Postby whitey on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:09 am

shakey wrote:
Actually OPANDA.

Thanks shakey was hoping to learn how to clean the sensor at one of the meets. May even have a go by myself if required
whitey

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions