Windows / CS3 question ....

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Windows / CS3 question ....

Postby Nikkofan on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:43 am

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

I'm using PSCS3 and running an action which does the following:

- Converts the 16 bit RAW file into 8 bit
- Save As into JPG - high quality (12)
- into specific folders in the desired effect (sepia, colour, etc)

But when I look at the images in Windows, they are listed as GIF's.

After just finishing the processing of a whole wedding. I noticed this (yes, I know the heart attack I experienced was due to my own stupidity of not having noticed this before I had processed hundreds of images :oops: but at least I am admitting it!)

But then when I checked the images, the sizes are JPG sized, the quality is that of JPG, not GIF, and when opened in PSCS3 again, they are listed as JPG files. It is a bit of a concern and a problem I would like to fix up asap, fully realising that it may well be due to something I have inadvertently done.

Please? .... Any ideas from anyone? ...
Nikon D70, Nikon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 17-55mm, Nikon 85mm, Nikon 24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Tamron 70-300, SB800, SB28, LSPJ
Nikkofan

Postby Oneputt on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:54 pm

I know that it may sound obvious but have you checked your action?
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Ant on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Sounds like your action is using the wrong suffix for the filenames. If you dont want to re-run your action, and you are comfortable with a command prompt, you could always go to one of the directories and try:

rename *.gif *.jpg

Then see how windows goes with identifying them.

Ant.
D90 | D50 | Tamron 17-50 2.8| AF-S 18-55 DX (and VR) | Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG | 50mm 1.8 | SB-600
Ant

Postby Nikkofan on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:56 pm

Many thanks for your replies & pm's - I really appreciate them.

Yes, I definitely checked the actions and it was correct.

In the meantime of puzzling over this, I discovered the following:

- in Windows, when I went into the Properties of the particular image and changed it to "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", it suddenly changed the extension for ALL the images to .... JPG!

- but when they are JPG's, they dont seem to load up as quickly for Previewing, as they do as GIF's, so I'm leaving them as GIF's until I am ready to hand them over to the client.

Wierd, huh? Now the puzzling (and panicking) is over, I'm just curious ... would anyone have any ideas as to WHY this would occur?

Many sincere thanks for your help!
Nikon D70, Nikon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 17-55mm, Nikon 85mm, Nikon 24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Tamron 70-300, SB800, SB28, LSPJ
Nikkofan

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions