Teleconverters - crop or convert?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Teleconverters - crop or convert?

Postby losfp on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:12 pm

I know how camera sensor "crop factor" works, ie: on a Nikon DX camera, a 200mm lens is still going to have the "look" of a 200mm lens, but the FIELD OF VIEW is equivalent to that of a 300mm lens.

With teleconverters, how does that work? Is it a crop, or a true magnification? So if I stick a 200mm lens and a 1.4x converter on my camera, is it going to have the DOF, compression etc of a 200mm lens or a 280mm lens?

I would have thought that because the TC essentially magnifies the image that it would also change the "look" of the image and not simply crop it... but I am not sure :)

Any thoughts?
losfp

Postby ATJ on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:17 pm

Des,

I believe a tele-converter will actually convert the lens. i.e. a 200mm lens on a 1.4X TC is exactly the same as a 280mm lens (albeit with some loss in quality and light, including maximum aperture).
ATJ

Postby losfp on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:18 pm

Thanks ATJ, I thought as much, but wasn't sure...
losfp

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions