Jaggies - what the?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Jaggies - what the?

Postby idleowen on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi

Hope this forum can help me out.....new to digital photography (film die hard,recently converted)... I bought a Nikon D80 + 18-200 VR,downloaded photos,using PS Elements 4...IBM Desktop PC (reasonably new)..... recently took some photos of the Anzac Bridge and noticed that all the diagonal lines looked 'stepped',from what I found googling these are 'jaggies' ?? I couldnt find any more info on what I can do to address this problem? Help?? Is it PC Screen related,D80 related? Or just a fact of life with digital images?

thks
idleowen

Postby losfp on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:38 pm

Probably the best thing to do is to upload an image or two and let the folks here have a look. If you zoom in too much when viewing a digital image onscreen, then yes you are going to see quite a bit of pixellation, but it shouldn't make any difference at all when viewing normally, or printing.
losfp

Postby Oneputt on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Welcome idleowen :D Yup straight lines can often appear jagged even when viewing a fairly small image, but as already pointed out when printed it cannot be seen.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby olrac on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:33 pm

I have found that at different zoom ratio's eg 33 % or 50% it is better or worse.

Try zooming in and out and see if that helps/
olrac

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions