Kitting out the D200

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Kitting out the D200

Postby Big Monkey on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of a D200 with a 18-200VR :D . I am looking at purchasing a few add on's for it. At the moment all I have is a UV filter and 2 x 4gb cards. I am looking at purchasing the following-:

1. External Flash - What is the difference between the SB-600 and SB-800? For a beginner would a 600 be a good starting point? Are there other brands that perform well?

2. Battery Grip - I am looking at getting a battery grib for the main reason of storing the batteries and comfort, it looks like I may be going to sea for a few weeks with work in the near future and charging batteries is not really a option as 240volt power is limited. Are the aftermarket ones ok, or should I stick to genuine products? Do they sell 12 volt chargers?

Are there any more "must have" items?

Any help or other idea's would be great!

Cheers
Ryan
Big Monkey

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Ryan,

The 800 is probably the way to go. Minimal extra cost, maximal portable power, feature set and flexibility.

The battery charger will work from 110V too. Just plug 'er in and away you go.

That said, you can also add some AA batteries into the battery grip, so if you have an ample sufficiency of AAs, you'll be fine.

And congratulations on the new arrival. I hope that mother and baby are both doing well. ;)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:58 pm

congrats on your new cam. i agree with gary, the 800 is worth the extra dosh. rechargable AA batteries for sure for your flash, eneloop are the ones to get. a CPL will come in very handy aswell especially now heading into summer.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Re: Kitting out the D200

Postby shakey on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 pm

Big Monkey wrote:Are there any more "must have" items?

Any help or other idea's would be great!

Cheers
Ryan

Some other minor items to consider when you are out on the high seas

Rocket blower
Microfibre Cloth
shakey

Postby Big Monkey on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:51 pm

Thanks for the infomation, very much appreciated :D
Big Monkey

Postby Matt. K on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Do not buy the SB600! You will always regret it. The battery grip is a non essential item and I rarely use mine. It serves little use and adds little utility to the camera, apart from making your camera look more proffesional. Buy a 50mm F1.8 lens with the money you save by not buying the battery grip. You will never regret it.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Big Monkey on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Thanks Matt.

I have come to the decision to get a SB-800 after everyones comments, especially Manta's. Now I just have to get the extra expense approved by the Minister or War and Finance :D
Big Monkey

Postby team piggy on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:46 pm

SB800, Give the 600 a miss.
Battery grip is great "But" for travelling I remove mine and take the 18-200 to stay light.
Rocket blower (giotto medium).
Spudz cleaning cloth ($4 and folds into a 20cent sized pouch with clip!) Rechargy Nimh AA's for the Sb800.
LCD protection screens for the D200 (Poon on Ebay 8 bucks). I didnt think I would need these, but a few of the guys who saw the remains of the top LCD Protection screen at yesterday's meet (Cockatoo) would vouch they are handy! (Rally driver Simon Evans flicked rock more than 150 feet to take out the protection screen and almost my head! Phew!)
Decent carry bag for travelling. (I just use a snout type to take D200, 18-200 and a couple batts and blower/cloth. Keep it small & light.
Soft flash Diffuser. (Poon on Ebay $ 5). better than the normal diffuser.
team piggy

Postby who on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:33 am

New to it & I carry -

2 spare EN-EL3e generic batteries from Poon..... lighter & smaller than a grip.
LCD protection screen from Poon - great, don't have to worry about scratching it.
Cleaning cloth (I use a microfibre from my optometrist - he is a bit too generous).
2 4 Gig Sandisk Extreme III CF cards

Lenses I have

18-200VR
50mm f1.8
Sigma 10-20mm EX
(covers almost everything OK, would like a fast (f2.8) wide zoom - ie 28-70)......

Packed in:

Tamrac Adventure 9 backpack for all the stuff OR Body & 18-200 in Crumpler $3m home - tight fit but nice and small......

On order ATM:-

SB800
Lambency & some other diffuser.
B+W UV & CPL filters.
Rocket blower.
WB lens cap.

To buy yet:-

Aforementioned 28-70 f2.8.
Tripod - CF legs & ballhead.
Monitor calibration device.

No doubt plenty of other things 8) :lol:

[quote](Rally driver Simon Evans flicked rock more than 150 feet to take out the protection screen and almost my head! Phew!)

He's a very good driver - and a great bloke, have spoken to him in Parc Ferme a few years back now when officialling Rally Qld.... good for a laugh even before 6am in the morning on a day when he had to go 110%.

Met a few who i wouldn't have round for a BBQ, but I would have Simon & Sue Evans & Neal Bates/Coral Taylor anyday...... not that they woudl know me.
who

Postby Manta on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:41 am

Ryan - you've got some great info here, in addition to my repsonse to your PM. Tell Sam she just has to deal with it. Camera gear and lenses are now part of the Ryan package and she can't have one without the other. (I can get Steph to talk to her if you want!!)

"Yes dear? No, I'm not on the Forum again. I'll be right there..."
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Big Monkey on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:59 pm

Yeah good idea Manta, but the "Ryan Package" also comes with a 57 Chev Belair that I just bought, and a boat. Think I will have to do some O.T. to cover this one.......
Big Monkey

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:26 pm

Big Monkey wrote:a 57 Chev Belair that I just bought, and a boat.

Is there a difference?

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Big Monkey on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:09 pm

Not a lot size wise, but hopefully the Chev will hit about 280kph down the track. And so will the wife when I tell her how much I have spent on the car chasing me down the track if I tell her, and that's a very big "IF" :D Should be a pretty close race.............
Big Monkey

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Do they sell 12 volt chargers?

You might consider an inverter (from about $50 at Jaycar or similar)
This will run your Nikon charger from the 12V Supply. It will also run your charger for the Flash batteries, and almost any other charging needs. Depending on its power requirements, it may also run your laptop. Works in the car too. I have a friend who takes one camping, and runs a 240V light bulb (compact fluorescent) from it at night. Very civilised. He has actually wired in a GPO (240V outlet) in the car.

Just remember it IS a drain on the boat battery, so don't forget to recharge that (run the engine now & again)

I concur about the SB800 and the CPL.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions