What sort of meter should I buy...

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What sort of meter should I buy...

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Well I'm currently hopelessly confused, I've been trawling Ebay looking at light meters and literally the prices range from $1-$500+, the types and ages are varied and I'm just not sure what I need.

Why am I looking for a meter ? The Leica I now own (M4-P) is meterless, so far I when I meter I have two options, guess based on the Sunny 16 rule, or use D70/D200 to meter the same scene and hope it matches up to what happening inside the Leica (I haven't developed any of the film yet, but I have been keeping a record of what I shot the images at, so I can get an idea of how they turn out.

I know previously people have got all excited about the $300-$500 awesome light meters, I know Chris was impressed with his etc Can one of the cheaper jobs do sufficiently so I don't have to use all my pocket money ?
Alpha_7

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:48 pm

This would be more than adequate Craig - Sekonic 308s $192.00 from Poon :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:53 pm

Chris - I could maybe stretch the budget that far if I behave myself. Can this do for want of a better word spot metering as well as incident metering ?
Alpha_7

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:57 pm

I did some reading and it looks like it does.
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:57 pm

Craig,

Speaking in very general terms, I think the minimum specification you should be looking for, and also keeping in mind potential future usage - would be that the unit has direct and incident reading capabilities (and I cannot think of any meter that doesn't provide that level of functionality) and it would be highly desirable to also have flash metering capabilities as well.

If you have those three bases covered, then all of your needs for the foreseeable future should be addressed.

And the Sekonic 308s that Chris mentioned has all of that and more.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:11 pm

You won't go wrong with a 2nd hand Minolta flash meter IV or V
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:18 am

if I had $100, id get a used minolta
if I had $200, id get a sekonic 308
if I had $400, id get the 558 or 778.

my first meter was a gossen digi6, it works well, its a flat pack, fits in shirt pocket nicely. big display.

after doing more studio stuff, wanted more, so upgraded to sekonic 778, love it.

since you want it for ambient metering, what about a used tiny one, like the little gossens? very small.
Oz_Beachside

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:10 am

lol bruce, i don't think you can get a used minolta for $100. The autometers maybe but they're not that good.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions