Good photography book?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Good photography book?

Postby JeffGlue on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I would say I'm leaning towards being an intermediate DSLR user and I am going to buy a D300 when it comes out. I got given a voucher for Borders and was thinking of buying a photography book, or maybe 2!!

I know all the SLR basics, but was just wondering if anyone had any advice on any good photography books that will help me to expand my skills.

Thanks!
Jeff
JeffGlue

Postby shakey on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Here's a couple of suggestions

Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure"
John Shaw "Nature Photography Field Guide"
Fil Hunter "Light:Science and Magic" (If you are interested in artifical lighting of subjects)
A subscription to National Geographic

And of course there are the Ansel Adams books (which I must confess I haven't read)
shakey

Postby Raskill on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:16 pm

Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure"
John Shaw "Nature Photography Field Guide"

Couldn't agree more. 'Understanding Exposure' is exceptionally good. Very easy to understand and has some good examples.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby stubbsy on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 pm

I'd also recommend Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening if you plan to be using Photoshop a bit for your PP.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Killakoala on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:10 pm

Some of the 'How To WOW in Photoshop' books are good too.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby radar on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:20 pm

Mountain Light by Galen Rowell, a classic if you are into outdoors and adventure.

I'm currently reading Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography. It is also a great book.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby sunnylass on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:27 pm

stubbsy wrote:I'd also recommend Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening if you plan to be using Photoshop a bit for your PP.

I have that manual and its all double dutch to me :?
sunnylass

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:06 pm

I like Scott Kelby's books on digital photography and post-processing.

He is interesting and easy to follow, and is the #1 writer on digital subjects today:

http://www.scottkelby.com/books.html

It's pretty easy to ge hold of his books at your local library or bookshop, and Amazon will sell them & transport them to your door for a bit less than buying them here.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby shakey on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:18 pm

stubbsy wrote:I'd also recommend Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening if you plan to be using Photoshop a bit for your PP.

Great book...but for someone dipping their toes into PS for the first time I'd recommend Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop xxxx Book for Digital Photographers". I'm not a fan of Scott's cheesy writing style but his step by step guide to getting the best out of your photos is pretty painless, and a stepping stone to more comprehensive books like Evening's.

<edit>

Trevor beat me too it :) :)

Slow typing...glass of wine mid post...

<end edit>
shakey

Postby JeffGlue on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely looking at getting some of the more 'practical' books, so i'll see what they've got tomorrow. I have a degree in multimedia so I have a reasonably good understanding of Photoshop, so i'll def have a look at Adobe Photoshop for Photographers (I'm pretty sure I've seen that title in the store before but have never looked inside!).

I've been buying a lot more photography mags as well lately, I particularly like 'Digital SLR Photography' from the UK. What are everyone else's favourites??
JeffGlue

Postby Glen on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Chimp is the photography magazine I read most.
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:15 pm

I second the comments re Kelby's "PS XXX for Digital Photographers" (Is a Digital Photographer someone who shoots hand models??? :lol: ) and "Light Science & Magic" (Hunter, F., et al.) Informative books that are easy to read.

My favourate mags are "Better Photography" (Aust) and "Black & White Photography" (UK). The problem I find with a lot of mags is they they spend too much time reviewing new gear as opposed to discussing photographic techniques or profiling photographers, etc.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Matt. K on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:26 pm

I find I get more value out of good books that showcase the photography of some of the masters. Anything by Eugene Smith, Sebaston Salgado, Cartier-Bresson, August Sander, David Seymour (Chim) or any of the Magnum photographers. These books I go back to time and time again and I never tire of them. Technique and processing you can get from the forums and the internet and of course, experimentation and experience.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Onyx on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:15 am

Scott Kelby thirded. This one.
Onyx

Postby Biggzie on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:06 am

I read a good book from Peter Harper a few years back. Cant remember the title, but it was nature photography based.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby michael_ on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:29 am

cricketfan wrote:I like Scott Kelby's books on digital photography

great book, very dumbed down, doesnt go in to the depth that say Bryan Peterson does in Understanding Exposure but its still very informative and does go through quite alot of shooting situations.
michael_

Postby shockadelica- on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:44 am

there is a book called 'light, science and magic' or something similiar that i have heard good things about.

has anybody here read it?
shockadelica-

Postby DVEous on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:07 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:00 am

shockadelica- wrote:there is a book called 'light, science and magic' or something similiar that i have heard good things about.

has anybody here read it?

Yes, I have it and it is an excellent resource for anyone interested in artificial light and how to control it. However, it is fairly technical, and these days I think that you can get more-easily digested assistance with light from The Strobist's web pages.

Light, Science and Magic - Third Edition. About $65 at Dymocks - wait 3 weeks.

Or, buy online from Amazon at US$40 (about A$45), plus shipping, and have it in a few days!

I find that if you buy 2 or more books from Amazon, the landed cost here (especially at the current exchange rate) is cheaper than buying locally. And usually quicker for photographic books, as the local stores do not keep large inventories of them.

I would support local businesses if they didn't try to rip us off so much.
Last edited by the foto fanatic on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Manta on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:27 am

VK4CP wrote:Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers".
An excellent reference manual that details numerous practical and advanced techniques that can be used everyday.

This book is easy to follow with step by step guides, and has great illustrations and screenshots. The writing style is casual and very readable.
It's a book you can (should?) pick up and go cover to cover a couple of time a year, just to refresh.

Couldn't agree more Adam, with you and Trevor. I've got six of Kelby's photoshop books (plus his iPod book) and subscribe to his Photoshop TV podcasts. Extremely informative and entertaining.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Old Bob on Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:38 pm

I managed to pick up a book from our local library sale of obsolete books, called Exploring Photography, by Bryn Campbell. I'm not sure when it was published, but it was purchased by the library in 1979.
It is a treasure, full of brilliant images, by outstanding photographers, such as Bill Brandt, Constantine Manos and many others, all before the days of digital.

Bob
Old Bob

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions