Image Hosting Websites

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Image Hosting Websites

Postby Smudge on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Are there any image hosting websites that are exclusive to Australia and what are the opinions of the sites that are avaliable?

I am finding that Photobucket is terribly slow for uploading and I have tried different computers etc to test the operation of this.

Which sites offer better services to the user.

Cheers, Emily
Smudge

Postby Jonesy on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:27 am

Hi Emily and Welcome

Its not exclusively Australian but I use (and manu others here) use smugmug http://www.smugmug.com and I am more than happy with the service, proce and customization levels of the site. At least is perfect for my needs!

Cheers

Jonesy
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby W00DY on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:33 am

Hi Emily and welcome,

I used to use Smugmug but have recently moved to Zenfolio, http://www.zenfolio.com/. I find it a little nicer than Smugmug.

You can also use this code for a discount: 362-NW6-ABY (I also receive a discount).

If you go with Smugmug search this site also as their is a thread on discount codes as well.

Cheers.
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Smudge on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:34 am

Thank you kindly for the welcome and for you quick responses to my question.

It is much appreciated. I will certainly check both websites out.

Cheers, Emily
Smudge

Re: Image Hosting Websites

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:19 pm

Smudge wrote:I have tried different computers etc to test the operation of this.

Hi Emily, and welcome.

What sort of internet connection are you using, and do you know what the speeds for the connection are?

When you say you have tried different computers, were they also using different external (to you) connections to the internet?

If not, then it may be a function of your connection that your upload speeds might be slow and regardless of whis service you use, your uploading might always be "slow"; certainly it's very common that your outbound speeds will be significantly slower than your incoming speeds.

Also, could you please take a few moments to review our FAQ, and update your location as stated in your profile? What you have there now is not in compliance with what we ask, and this will prevent you from, at a later time, gaining access to our premium sections.

Thanx in advance for your cooperation.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Smudge on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:21 pm

Hello Gary,

I will look into your comments about the net.

Regarding my location, I do live in the city of Sydney. My postcode of my address is 2000. I dont really want to advertise the actual address.

Cheers, Emily
Smudge

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Smudge wrote:My postcode of my address is 2000.

In which case Sydney CBD would would be an appropriate entry.

I dont really want to advertise the actual address.

Of course not, and we're not expecting that.

But something more definitive is useful when and if you need some physical help from someone to get something happening, or you want to arrange a shoot or micromeet, or perhaps to borrow a lens.

Thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Smudge on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:37 pm

gstark wrote:
Smudge wrote:My postcode of my address is 2000.

In which case Sydney CBD would would be an appropriate entry.

I dont really want to advertise the actual address.

Of course not, and we're not expecting that.

But something more definitive is useful when and if you need some physical help from someone to get something happening, or you want to arrange a shoot or micromeet, or perhaps to borrow a lens.

Thanx.

Sorry I didnt mean to sound rude. I will certainly update as you have suggested.

I have only moved here from Perth, so I am still getting use to how things work around NSW.

Now borrowing a lens sounds a treat. I am being thrown so many bad suggestions of not what to do and what to do that the whole subject is doing my head in. So will post another day regarding that issue.

Cheers, Emily
Smudge

Postby Killakoala on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:51 pm

I am being thrown so many bad suggestions of not what to do and what to do that the whole subject is doing my head in. So will post another day regarding that issue.

Emily, you've certainly found the right spot on the internet for useful, practical and honest advice on that subject :) Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Smudge on Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Killakoala wrote:
I am being thrown so many bad suggestions of not what to do and what to do that the whole subject is doing my head in. So will post another day regarding that issue.

Emily, you've certainly found the right spot on the internet for useful, practical and honest advice on that subject :) Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you kindly for the warm welcome and I am sure we will see each other around somewhere.

Cheers, Emilly
Smudge

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:15 pm

Smudge wrote:Sorry I didnt mean to sound rude. I will certainly update as you have suggested.

You didn't sound rude, and I thank you for updating your profile.

I have only moved here from Perth, so I am still getting use to how things work around NSW.

In which case, welcome, also, to Sydney. It's a sort of biggish town, and has its good, as well as its bad, points.

What you'll find is that we often have minimeets - frequently based in or not too far from downtown - and you'll be able to meet with other members and ask questions till you either drop, or run out of questions.

And usually we're more than happy to let you have a play with our toys, or show you how to take advantage of the toys that you have .... and sometimes those that you wish you had. :)

Now borrowing a lens sounds a treat. I am being thrown so many bad suggestions of not what to do and what to do that the whole subject is doing my head in. So will post another day regarding that issue.

Please do. Many of us have a long background in photography, and whereas the advice you'll be offered in a store might be (a) coloured by the thought of what the salesperson wants to sell you and (b) given to you by a salesperson, in many cases with less experience than you might have in using a camera, that will rarely be the situation here.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Smudge on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:29 am

gstark wrote:
Smudge wrote:Sorry I didnt mean to sound rude. I will certainly update as you have suggested.

You didn't sound rude, and I thank you for updating your profile.

In which case, welcome, also, to Sydney. It's a sort of biggish town, and has its good, as well as its bad, points.

I love Sydney and it has so many awesome, different kinds of things to offer, I find this amazing. Even traffic is not that bad, compared to Perth.

What you'll find is that we often have minimeets - frequently based in or not too far from downtown - and you'll be able to meet with other members and ask questions till you either drop, or run out of questions

And usually we're more than happy to let you have a play with our toys, or show you how to take advantage of the toys that you have .... and sometimes those that you wish you had. :)

Oh, I cant wait for a mini meet, sounds great. I really enjoy meeting people and its much easier to ask questions and receive information than posting, as sometimes the information doesnt come accross that easily.

In addition, these people have a wealth of knowledge that is so importanct when trying new camera accessories and technologies.

It feels like I have stumbled upon a great forum.

Thanks very much, Emily
Smudge

Postby Bandit on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Sorry, but this may be a stupid question.

What is wrong with just uploading to your own internet site? Do these facilities (photobucket etc) add anything else?
Bandit

Postby Kyle on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:07 pm

Bandit wrote:Sorry, but this may be a stupid question.

What is wrong with just uploading to your own internet site? Do these facilities (photobucket etc) add anything else?

Infinite storage, Not having to worry about security, Very minimal downtime, dont have to manage your own servers...

They (zenfolio,photobucket, smugmug etc) Make it very very simple for people to use! :)

And some of them offer printing services also

Welcome Emily! :D Enjoy your long stay here!
Kyle

Postby RichardW on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:57 pm

I'm giving RedBubble a go.
Probably have to buy my own stuff. :oops:
RichardW

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:44 am

Kyle wrote:Infinite storage, Not having to worry about security,

Infinite storage?

But anyone who already has a DH account has these features already.

Very minimal downtime, dont have to manage your own servers...

Ditto

They (zenfolio,photobucket, smugmug etc) Make it very very simple for people to use! :)

What could be easier than a bulk FTP transfer directly into the target directory?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:47 am

Bandit wrote:Sorry, but this may be a stupid question.

No, it's not. The only stupid question is the one that you fail to ask. :)

Nothing.

I use Singapore, running from my DH account. Dead easy to set up, bulk uploading is a breeze .... I've often wondered the same thing.

But it's choice that we each get to make.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby norbs on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:58 am

gstark wrote:

What could be easier than a bulk FTP transfer directly into the target directory?

Gary, do you know how many people don't even know what FTP is? :lol:
norbs

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:23 am

norbs wrote:
gstark wrote:

Gary, do you know how many people don't even know what FTP is? :lol:

I've never asked, but I think that most here (a) know what Google is, and (b) if they're able to use both Google and this forum, they'll be able to manage FTP through their web browser. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Bandit on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:56 am

Gary,

That's what I was thinking... and most ISPs these days give you free space with a std account. Sure it is not much but it is a start.

For the minimal cost of buying a domain and getting it hosted (well i term it minimal cost) I am not sure whay people do not go down this route, but as you say, it may be just a personal preference thing.
Bandit

Postby Kyle on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm

gstark wrote:
Kyle wrote:Infinite storage, Not having to worry about security,

Infinite storage?

But anyone who already has a DH account has these features already.

Very minimal downtime, dont have to manage your own servers...

Ditto

I hate post nitpickers...but anyway :)

DH (yes im a customer) is NOT infinite... sure, you get a shitload of space, but it's not infinite... Smugmug is truly infinite.

Norbs is right.. there are people out there who have absolutely no idea... but sites like flickr and the others mentioned have a very simple web upload system.. Whilst you're somewhat correct in saying that ftp aint hard.. it's not easy for a person who's only just discovered the interweb

:)
Kyle

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:28 pm

Kyle wrote:DH (yes im a customer) is NOT infinite... sure, you get a shitload of space, but it's not infinite... Smugmug is truly infinite.

And ... how close are you to ...

... filling up your DH space?

... with your Smugmug space that you have already used, how close to filling up your DH allocation would that be?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Kyle on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:46 pm

It has nothing to do with what I said gary..I simply said that dreamhost IS limited and smugmug is NOT.. Like it or not, DH is limited.

FWIW... I have 2gb used on my DH hosting.

Move on please :)
Kyle

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Kyle wrote:It has nothing to do with what I said gary..I simply said that dreamhost IS limited and smugmug is NOT.. Like it or not, DH is limited.

Actually, at a practical level, it has everything to do with it. What's stated in the Ts&Cs of Smugmug? What are their fair use policies?

I wonder what would happen if you truly tried to utilise some concept of the term unlimited? Remember: TANSTAAFL.

FWIW... I have 2gb used on my DH hosting.

Exactly my point.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Kyle on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:48 pm

You really love to pick dont you.

I give in.

You're right, I'm wrong

Happy?
Kyle

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions