Filters

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Filters

Postby Big Monkey on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi all,

Currently patiently waiting for my new D200 and 18-200VR to arrive.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on filters. Are there any "must have" filters and if so, what effect they have. Are all brands the same? Obviously it will probably depend on what situation I am shooting, but being a newbie I want to try it all. :shock:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ryan
Big Monkey

Postby MattC on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Start with a CPL which are great for reducing unwanted reflections.

ND filters for effect or for maintaining flash sync speed in very bright conditions.

Some people like to attach a UV or lens protector to the front of their lens for protection.

When the time comes to buy, get the very best that you can afford. Cheap filters can degrade IQ.

Cheers
MattC

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:11 pm

I agree with MattC
I am not a fan of UV filters for lens protection, but I found it handy on my 18-200 till I learnt not to put my fingers near the front of the lens. The glass is much closer to the front that on my old camera, & I got caught several times.

The polarizer also has uses with foliage and sky. It can also be used to remove reflections from a flash if you can't move the flash reflection out of frame. IMO, the CPL is by far the most useful filter there is.

Another interesting idea is to put a coloured filter on the lens, and a complementary filter on the flash. The result is that the foreground is correctly coloured, while the background has a strong colour cast. This can also be achieved in Post processing, but it is a lot easier to do in camera.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby glamy on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:20 pm

Ryan,
I would buy a good filter to protect the lens (UV type) and would not worry about special effects. If you go into landscapes you may want some GND filters and CPL but for everyday shooting a good UV filter is all I would use. I stay clear from Hoya (hard to clean) and use B&W filters.
glamy

Postby shakey on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Most important photography filter is the BS filter. After that a circ polariser is quite handy.
shakey

Postby chrisk on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:30 am

i agree with CPL. a UV filter for protection is optional. I also use B&W and buy all my filters from here:

http://hvstar.net/
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Big Monkey on Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks for the help everyone, very much appreciated! :D
Big Monkey

Postby Bandit on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:46 pm

shakey wrote:Most important photography filter is the BS filter. After that a circ polariser is quite handy.

Is that the same as the non-photography BS Filter (Bull.... filter)?
Bandit

Postby big pix on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:I am not a fan of UV filters for lens protection, but I found it handy on my 18-200 till I learnt not to put my fingers near the front of the lens. The glass is much closer to the front that on my old camera, & I got caught several times.

......just another very good reasion to have a uv filter to protect your investment..... also against, salt spray, rain, heavy mist, splashes and a lot more including fingers
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby shakey on Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Bandit wrote: Is that the same as the non-photography BS Filter (Bull.... filter)?

Yep..
:D
shakey

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions