How Does A Battery Grip Work?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

How Does A Battery Grip Work?

Postby Pehpsi on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Never seen/used one, but i'm guessing they just hold a few batteries in the one place for convenience? Can't you just as easily change the battery when needed as opposed to buying a grip?
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Re: How Does A Battery Grip Work?

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:37 pm

Pehpsi wrote:Never seen/used one, but i'm guessing they just hold a few batteries in the one place for convenience? Can't you just as easily change the battery when needed as opposed to buying a grip?

In the film days, a battery grip was often referred to as a motor drive as it provided automatic and/or faster film [re]winding. They may also provide a second shutter/AF/AE button for use in portrait mode.

In some cameras (I think the Nikon F4/s/e), the addition of more batteries provides a faster fps rate.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:48 pm

The modern battery grip is exactly what it states. It’s a battery holder attached to the bottom of the camera that provides storage/or use of extra batteries. In some cases it also serves to enable vertical shooting with another shutter release (but not for the D70). The old grips (as referred to by Patrick) were, in the main, the drive motor for the main body, and as such do not apply in the digital age.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby methd on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:49 pm

a few more points not noted:

*balances the weight of the camera for bigger lenses

*for me, it's more comfortable to hold

*automatically switches to the spare battery when the first runs out
methd

Postby ATJ on Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:56 pm

I also believe they can provide higher frame rates on some cameras - for example from the specs for the D300:

1) Single frame [S] mode 2) Continuous low speed [CL] mode: 1 to 7*¹ frames per second 3) Continuous high-speed [CH] mode: 8 frames per second*¹, 6 frames per second*² 4) Liveview [LV] mode 5) Self-timer [ ] mode 6) Mirror-up [Mup] mode. *¹ When using AC Adaptor EH-5a/EH-5 or Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 with batteries other than Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e. *² When using Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e (When shooting in Continuous-servo AF (C), Shutter-Priority Auto [S] or Manual [M] exposure modes, at a shutter speed of 1/250 sec. or faster with other settings at default)
ATJ

Postby Pehpsi on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:15 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies.

I'm quite comfortable with the D70 as is, I like the small size and weight, so I don't think i'd like the grip all that much, probably just grab another spare battery..
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:14 pm

There isn't an official battery grip for the D70 anyway. The grip also makes it easier when taking photos in portrait orientation. Less twisting of the wrist.

Additionally, if you're mounting a heavier lens to a lighter camera body - the centre of gravity is towards the front which makes it more inconvenient to hold. With the grip, it adds a bit more mass to the camera end to balance it out a bit more.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions