Club (Low Light) event lens

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Club (Low Light) event lens

Postby dviv on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I've been asked to be the "official" photographer for a relatives 21st birthday. The party will be at a club in the city so I'm guessing low light.

I have a Canon 350D and the Tamron 17-50 2.8 which is "kind of" low light but probably needs a flash to back it up (I have a 580EX)

Would I be better of sticking with the zoom and using the flash? Or would it be worth looking at a Sigma 30 1.4 or even a 50mm 1.8?

Any comments from those who have been there before?

Thanks

David
dviv

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:44 pm

For the group photos, use the flash.

For more candid photos, try available light by increasing the ISO to at least 800. If you can borrow a 30 1.4 or a 50 1.8 or 1.4, go for it and use that as well.

If you want to try something a bit different for the candle blowing, capture the moment when the cake is presented in available light so you get a nice moody image with only the birthday person illuminated by candelight. Switch back to using the flash quickly when they blow out the candles to capture the action.

Good luck :) Most of all, enjoy yourself!
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby moz on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:51 pm

Remember to bounce the flash, but also check the ceiling as clubs often have dark-coloured ceilings. Don't be afraid to make a diffuser.

Go with the lens you've got, but practice a lot first. Take photos around the house of an evening until you get the hang of it.
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby dviv on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Thanks for the tips guys!

I like the candle idea. Definately will give that a go.

Anyone got a Canon mount 30mm 1.4 they will lend me? :twisted:
dviv

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions