DSL holding techique

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

DSL holding techique

Postby rah on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:05 am

What is the best way to hold these things? I got to play with a dslr (d40) for a day. My two problems are

1 My glasses squishing up against the eye piece and also headaches from trying to keep one eye closed while the other eye open for long periods.

2. Camera shake.

Any tips on improving the experience/technique is much appreciated. I hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks in advance
rah

Re: DSL holding techique

Postby shakey on Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:35 am

rah wrote:What is the best way to hold these things? I got to play with a dslr (d40) for a day. My two problems are

1 My glasses squishing up against the eye piece and also headaches from trying to keep one eye closed while the other eye open for long periods.

2. Camera shake.

Any tips on improving the experience/technique is much appreciated. I hope this is not a stupid question.
Thanks in advance

#1...I would suggest you keep both eyes open. After a while your brain adapts...

In regards to glasses...I usually shoot with mine on (D70). Sometimes I'll use a contact lens instead. The D70 also has a diopter correction viewfinder...not sure about D40

#2...Camera Shake

Here's my thoughts...for hand held shots
Brace against an immobile object if possible, keep arms close to side, keep camera close to face, breathe hold, squeeze (not jab) shutter button.

I'm a little less shakey now... :D :D
shakey

Re: DSL holding techique

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:50 am

PArt of the problem might be the size (or lack of it) on the D40.

The basics though ... just place the camera, with lens, in the palm of your left hand, with the lens pointing out along your fingers. You can now wrap the fingers of your left hand around the lens, supporting the base of the camera in the palm of tha hand.

The fingers should be free and able to operate the lens controls.

Now bring your right hand up to the grip. Index finger on the shutter button, thumb towards the rear of the body.

Your elbows should be in.

To make an image, either inhale or exhale and then hold your breath, then gently squeeze the shutter. Then relax.

rah wrote:1 My glasses squishing up against the eye piece and also headaches from trying to keep one eye closed while the other eye open for long periods.

Both eyes open. Always.

Glasses squshing is something you'll need to learn to deal with.

2. Camera shake.

See above. Keep in mind the shutter speeds you're shooting at, and try to not shoot, handheld, at less than the reciprocal of the focal length of the lens you're using.

It's all technique, and practice.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby rah on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:46 am

OK thanks for the tips.
I will practice the holding techniques. I didn't know breath holding would help, also I never realised people shot with both eyes open. I tried doing this but found it very distracting and difficult to frame. I guess with practice you would get used to it?
rah

Postby jdear on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:50 am

Both eyes open. Always

dammit, I shoot with both eyes closed!

J
jdear

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions