buying a camera for my Dad

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

buying a camera for my Dad

Postby Katie G on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi all
Hoping someone on here might be able to help me.
I am planning on buying my Dad a P&S for Father's Day. I need to explain a few htings about my dad - he is the furthest thing from technologically savy there is, he still cant use the vcr we got him for his 50th (that was 15 yrs ago). I want to find the absolute simplest digital camera possible to give him, he doesnt live close to us so Craig wont be able to be help desk for him. Im hoping someone here has had an experience with an easy to use basic P&S.

thank you
Katie :D
Katie G

Postby phillipb on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:23 pm

Katie, problem is, even if you find a dead easy P&S, what's he going to do with the photos after he's taken them?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Katie G on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:34 pm

Print them at the local chemist or kmart.
Katie G

Postby radar on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:51 pm

Katie,

just get him a Polaroid and that will save him a trip to the chemist :roll: :roll:

Jokes aside :roll: the Canon IXUS are pretty easy to use and they get good reviews. I have one that I got a few years back and still works just fine. There are various model that will fit your budget and features you think your Dad might like. Just go to a camera shop and try them out, there are about 5 or 6 models. Have a look at:
http://www.canon.com.au/products/visual ... meras.html

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Ivanerrol on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 pm

Errr.. Tongue in cheek.

If he justs want to make prints. How about a P&S film camera much like the Olympus XA2 which I got off the great auction site for $ 20.00 a couple of weeks ago.

Otherwise as mentioned above - can't beat one of the Canon Ixus's
Ivanerrol

Postby Big Red on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:45 pm

my parents in their 70 have recently got their first digital camera.

its a kodak point and shoot something or other that came with a printer so all they have to do is stick the camera on and press the print button apparently.
Big Red

Postby Katie G on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:50 pm

thanks for the suggestions

i might look into the kodak range and see what looks good.

thanks again

Katie
Katie G

Postby aswcheng on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Big Red wrote:its a kodak point and shoot something or other that came with a printer so all they have to do is stick the camera on and press the print button apparently.

I use one of these Kodak Easyshare printer docks to do quick print jobs at home (eg. printing out candid photos to give to dinner guests). The quality is quite acceptable and the convenience unbeatable. The main disadvantage is the cost of the prints (~50c per print with the largest paper packs, unless when on special), which is quite a bit more than the 15-25c most photo places are charging these days.

They work with non-Kodak cameras as well, although a cable may be needed (instead of simply docking the Kodak camera on top of the printer).

If Katie's dad is not too fuss about the lens quality, cheap Kodak bundles (low-end camera + printer) can be found in KMart or Target for around $140-170.
aswcheng

Postby Greg B on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:43 pm

I love the IXUS cameras, got one for Rosanne. But I doubt they would be ideal for a 65 yo non techno person. Bit too fiddly.

The Kodak range are excellent for the simpler side of things - a guy at work got a Kodak ~ $250 and he loves it, and it is a bit bigger - making it easier to use.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby rflower on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:27 pm

My Mother-in-Law bought Father-in-Law a Kodak something a year or so ago. They have no computer, and are not technically minded as such. They look at them through the TV, and take the whole camera down to Harvey Normans to get printed. They are happy enough with the snapshots, that my Mother-in-Law just got one for herself with a printer
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Postby jammy2 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:34 pm

Dick Smith had a recent sale on the Fuji F20 for $158 which is a good PS for low light especially, so that may be an option
jammy2

Postby huw62 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:57 am

we have a panasonic TZ1 point and shoot for my wife to use and she finds it very simple to operate and has 5mp and 10x optical zoom which is great and the bonus of image stabilization. around $350.00 but well worth it.
huw62

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions