Intro and what to buy>

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Intro and what to buy>

Postby Patrolman Pat on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:55 am

G'Day all, I've been browsing this forum for a couple of days and it is very informative.
I'm looking at buying a DSLR and my price bracket has narrowed the search to a Nikon D40x or a CanonEOS400D, both of which seem to be around the $1000 mark from online sellers. I currently have a NikonF55 35mm, an old Olympus OM10 and a couple of P&S digitals. The film cameras get little use as I like the advantages of using digital and reckon it's time to upgrade and get a DSLR.
I've tried both cameras out for feel in a camera store today and both feel OK to hold and use. Any feedback on either of my options would be welcomed, I'm slightly favouring the Canon at the moment although I'm not real sure why.
Patrolman Pat

Postby Geoff on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:06 am

Welcome to our forum :) Here's hoping you have a long lasting stay where u can learn lots and share what you learn!

As far as which camera you get, it basically comes down to your own personal preference. Each system is equally good (holy cow did I just say that??). I have a personal favouritism towards Nikon but obviously I say go with what feels good to you!

I suspect you will immensely enjoy the conversion and new abilities within the digital realm of photography.

Hope this helps, let us know how you go on your final decision. When you become a full member here (read the FAQ) you will be eligible for some serious discounts on both camera bodies, lenses and accessories.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby virgal_tracy on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:37 am

Do you have lenses for the Nikon? If so, although they won't auto focus with the D40 you are at least ahead of the game in terms of glass. If you only have the one lens then as Geoff said it will depend on what feels best to you.
virgal_tracy

Postby Patrolman Pat on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I've only got the lens that came with the camera AF 28-80mm from memory. Not enough to sway the decision although I have plenty of SD cards which is another tick to the Nikon.
I can't wait to get into the world of DSLRs so much to learn.
Patrolman Pat

Postby Louie on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:19 pm

My friend went through this debate a few weeks ago, we had both cameras side by side in the shop weighing up the merits of each one. There really isn't much to pick between them but decisions had to be made -

Nikon won as overall it was more comfortable to hold, had better menus and also the inbuilt 'Help' function which is very useful for new users (like me, I have a D40 and love it).

Cheers,
Elena
Elena
Louie

Postby Patrolman Pat on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:44 pm

:D Made the purchase, bought a DX40X with 18-55 and 55-200VR lenses. Only managed to take one shot so far (of the dog) as I'm flat out at work trying to pay for it. :(
Hopefully I'll get a chance to have a play at the weekend.
Patrolman Pat

Postby aussichef on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:46 pm

Come on now Pat
Your a plumber you should only have to work a few hours to pay for that lol
warren aka aussichef
Nikon D50/D80 Nikon,MB-D80 70-200 2.8 VR,Sigma 18-50 2.8, Kenko 1.4x TC, 2 kit lenses ,Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon SB-600 Tamron 90mm 2.8 Canon 500D closeup lens
aussichef

Location: Port Vincent , and Tanunda South Australia,Australia

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions