Polarising filter help

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Polarising filter help

Postby Louie on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi,

I impulse-bought a polarising filter the other day as I have seen them used with great effect but am having trouble working out the correct way to use it. Below are some pics I took today, one seemed okay but the rest look as though it was only working on one half of the picture.

Very uneven sky:

More uneven sky:

Same position but seems okay

Am I standing with the sun in the wrong place, do I not have the filter positioned correctly, what am I doing wrong??

Thanks,
Elena
Elena
Louie

Postby shakey on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:29 pm

If this a wide angle lens then this is normal appearance with polarising filters for sunny skys. I'd go into the science if I had half a brain. :oops:
shakey

Postby Louie on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:47 pm

Hmm, okay, I will have to research this further. Most of the pics I have seen previously have the lighter sky from top to bottom, not left to right like mine.

Why is it so different in the last two pics which are taken (from what I can recall) with the same technique?
Elena
Louie

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:07 pm

think someone told me they are most effective during each end of day (looks like midday from the shadow under the bridge).
Oz_Beachside

Postby Marvin on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:10 pm

My polariser has the same effect. I think it depends on being a certain degree turned from the sun (I remember something about 45 degrees).
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby iluxa on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:16 pm

It's perfectly ok from physics (optics) perspective. The poliarizing filter works better if the angle between the Sun, you and the optical axis is equal 90 degree. The polarizing filter is not working if you are shooting directly to the Sun or working a little if the Sun is right behind you. So because you are sooting at relatively wide angle different corners of your image have different angles with you and the Sun and therefore they have different degree of polarization which the polarization filter just "captures". It doesn't depend on filter brand, model, quality etc. It's pure physics. It depends on the Sun position in the sky, you and shooting subject. I have a lof of similar shots where different corners of images have different sky intensity.

Hope my explanation helps you.
iluxa

Postby Louie on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:19 pm

Thanks guys, I think you are all on to something here!

Bruce, you are right - it was middayish. I was just doing some more reading up on this now which suggests, as you say, that midmorning is the best time.

Marvin, I will try various angles next time as well, do you mean with the sun 45 deg behind, or in front? :oops:
(I should do more research before I buy stuff!!)

Now, just need to wait for another sunny day in Melbourne when I'm not at work .............
Elena
Louie

Postby Louie on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:22 pm

Iluxa, thank you, that does help!
I think this is what Shakey was trying to tell me, I just didn't quite get it.

It would seem that the filter can be quite limited in its use if the scene is not 'facing' the right way. I still like it though :)
Elena
Louie

Postby iluxa on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Louie wrote:It would seem that the filter can be quite limited in its use if the scene is not 'facing' the right way.

Not really. Well, you have a few options:
a) use ND Grad filter to correct it during shooting.
b) correct this in PhotoShop during post process using layer masks.
c) leave it as is. :)
iluxa

Postby Louie on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:34 pm

There's those words again, 'layers' and 'masks', my next conquests.

Thanks for the help, everyone :D
Elena
Louie

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions