Metering

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Metering

Postby sunnylass on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 pm

This has no doubt been covered somewhere but I couldnt find it.

My Canon 400D has 3 choices, none of which I really understand.

Evaluative, Partial and Center weighted.

Every time I set up the metering for what I think it should be, the little red dots don't flash where I think they should.

Be gentle with me, I'm blonde. :oops:
sunnylass

Re: Metering

Postby Yi-P on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:18 pm

sunnylass wrote:My Canon 400D has 3 choices, none of which I really understand.

Evaluative, Partial and Center weighted.

Evaluative takes consideration of your whole viewfinder's frame.

Partial, I believe this is what 'spot metering' is, and it takes consideration of only a very small spot of the centre of your viewfinder.

Centre weighted takes consideration of the circle in the middle of your viewfinder.

What metering does is take light metering of that particular area described above and will work out on an exposure according to the light it sees. It will try to balance things out and take the photo with an exposure that the camera thinks it is right.

Every time I set up the metering for what I think it should be, the little red dots don't flash where I think they should.

Be gentle with me, I'm blonde. :oops:

The red dots/squares should only be autofocusing points, and nothing to do with metering. Your camera's manual should have enough detail on how these works.
Yi-P

Postby sunnylass on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Hmm ok maybe my question came out a little less clear than I intended it to :lol:

Thanks though Y-ip.
sunnylass

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions