UV optical filter

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

UV optical filter

Postby Louie on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi,

I just received my new 18-200VR lens, very exciting! (thanks Poon!)

It came with the uv filter which is great ..... but can someone please tell me what it is for? I tried doing a search but no joy .......

Thanks!

Elena
Louie

Postby seeto.centric on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:08 pm

its more for protection purposes. but this is a debatable topic

often recommended that you remove the filter when shooting stuff that may induce filter flare (something like the mirroring of a bright source of light in your shot)

in the film days, i think it had something to do with improving the rendition of some colours on film which were affected by UV light?

sorry im not too competent in this area. i use UV filters mainly for protection

-j
seeto.centric

Postby stubbsy on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:16 am

Basically what Julian said.

In film days UV light could affect some film. Hence the filter filtered it out. In digital days UV light does nothing to the sensor, but a UV filter costs much less than that expensive lens it's on so if you scratch, smash or drop the whole shebang is it better if it's the disposable filter that's damaged or your not so disposable lens. I wouldn't stick my lens anywhere without protection :wink: Of course YMMV
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Louie on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:19 pm

That all makes sense, filter is now protecting my lens.

Thanks, I appreciate the responses!

Elena
Louie

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:14 pm

Peter
Some digital sensors are more sensitive than others to UV light and many sensors have both an IR and UV filter covering the CCD. However it is true that UV affects a digital sensor far less than it did film. It seems the arguement these days in relation to UV and digital sensors is...is it worth using one for the very small amount of filtering it may do at the cost of adding an extra glass/air layer over your expensive prime optic. The answer would seem to be no, unless you do a lot of high altitude photography. UV filters of themselves are variable in the frequencies that they block and some have proved to be downright unreliable or useless for the purpose for which they were brought. I'm a great believer in using no filter and capturing the full quality your lens can provide....but I'll put a filter on if I'm going into rough territory or I'm going to work in the rain. I guess there may be room for some discussion on the topic of UV filters on telephoto lenses versus UV filters on wide angle lenses....but I'll leave others to think that one out. :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby adam on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:50 pm

Very exciting.
May I know whether Poon always ships with the UV filter included?

Thank you!
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby jamesw on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:17 pm

adam wrote:Very exciting.
May I know whether Poon always ships with the UV filter included?

Thank you!

from what i can tell is that he is supposed to (there is a request for a complementary uv filter at the bottom of each order), but sometimes he may forget.

so you might get one you might not!

i'm sure gary can elaborate.
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:20 pm

What James said.

If you get one, as most do, great, but there are no guarantees, and I will not enter into discussions where one is not supplied.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby adam on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:01 pm

---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions