Is D80 too much camera for an amateur?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Is D80 too much camera for an amateur?

Postby iGBH on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:42 pm

I’m looking to enter the world of dslr’s having outgrown my current Nikon point and shoot (Coolpix 5200).

I’ve read a lot of reviews both here and elsewhere as well as going into stores and getting a good feel for the various makes etc. For me, the Nikons feel the best in my hands and my past experience with the 5200 has been all good.

I guess the obvious entry level Nikon would be the D40/s/x however I’m a little hesitant given its lense limitations. How much this will actually affect me in reality I’m not really sure.

Also, I’m the type of person who wants to buy the best (within reason and budget). The D80 with kit lense is at the upper end of my budget. It certainly sounds like a camera I will grow into as I learn more and more.

I will primarily be using this camera for travelling ie capturing landscapes etc. No doubt it will be used for more mundane duties as well though.

My biggest concern in taking the plunge in getting a D80 is that I have read a lot of comments by people saying there is a huge learning curve – even coming from other dslr’s. Would I be biting off more than a can chew with a d80 as my first dslr?

Thanks.

(btw, if anyone could give me an indication of the current going rate for the d80 w 18-135 lense from poon it would be greatly appreciated). :wink:
iGBH

Postby spaz on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:53 pm

Without having looked at the camera itself, I don't think you would be biting off more than you can chew as you are never forced to use all of a camera's functions. If you choose to go this route, you can always leave more advanced features to learn at a later date.

What are the lens limitations you referred to with regards to the D40? Do you mean the kit lens? You then have the option of buying a body and lens separately, although this would be a bit more expensive.

I think the final decision should come down to how much you will actually be using the more advanced features of the D80 vs how much they will cost you. For some good prices have a look at http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/index.htm - bought my 50mm from him and all went well plus excellent prices (D80 kit for $1645)!

By the way, congratulations on being one of the few people who actually go and pick up the cameras when comparing them.
http://www.50mmprime.com

D70s | 50 1.4 | 85 1.4 | 18-70 | 70-300 ED | Pinhole | SB800

POTW 24.04.07 - thanks Geoff
spaz

Postby iGBH on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:07 pm

The limitation of the D40 as I understand it relates to the lack of a built-in focus drive motor. This means that if you want a lense to auto-focus, it needs to have its own drive motor (ie AF-S and AF-I lenses).

As I said earlier, I’m not too sure how much this will affect me in reality as I don’t know what sort of lenses I want down the track. I’d rather have the option of using most lenses than not however which is one reason why I discounted the d40.

The other reason I’m leaning towards the d80 is the 10.2 megapixel resolution. I will tend to crop a bit as well as make large poster prints so I see this as an advantage (although from memory the d40x is 10.2 also.)

I’d read a lot of comments from people who said it was important to get a feel for the camera’s ergonomics prior to purchasing so this was one of the first things I did. Having done so, I must say it really does make a difference. I found both the Sony and the Canon awkward to hold and operate.
iGBH

Postby macka on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Keep in mind that if you are just going to shove the camera into fully automatic modes and shoot then you are probably better off with a point and shoot. DLSRs are great fun, but you do need to take the time to learn how to get the most out of them, otherwise you'll probably get better pictures straight out of the camera from a p&s.

That said, if you want to learn, go for it. A D80 would be fine for a beginner who is willing to learn, and you will likely hold onto it for a long time.
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby wendellt on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:26 pm

i've used the d80 before it was a very competent camera and it works just lie the d70 but it has some high end features like being able to change white balance in kelvins this feature is on the D2x
it also has a huge viewing screen
it's form factor is also smaller than the d70 so its a great little camera whith a big punch

i was going to buy one because i was so impresed with it but ended up with a d200

that said the ergonomics and intuitiveness across all nikon dslrs is pretty standard so as a learning tool i'd say its the best choice if you ever want to use a pro nikon camera later
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Vodka on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:36 pm

I took the plunge with the D80 as my beginner DSLR last Nov (after a number of years using point and shoots). I've had no problems learning how to use it, and have not been overwhelmed by its features.

It will require a little effort to learn the basics. Playing around, experimenting, putting all the basics I read about into practise. But for me, that's all part of the fun.

It's certainly a camera that will grow with you as your knowledge improves. Right now, I'm having heaps of fun learning about off-camera flash via an SB600.

Ben
Vodka

Postby spaz on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:37 pm

If it is as similar to the D70 as Wendell says then I understand what is meant by the steep learning curve. I started out with a Pentax *ist DS when learning photography and later moved to a D70. I don't think that it is too difficult to learn from scratch as long as you are prepared to make the effort.

You can learn by setting everything to auto and selecting aperture/shutter priority mode (the camera then selects the other for you). From there, once you understand a feature, move on to manually setting other parameters. It is all easy to access, quite intuitive and being digital you can learn anything through trial and error.

My view - buy whichever suits your budget as long as you are going to actually use it to it's full extent and not leave it lying in the cupboard. Enjoy!
http://www.50mmprime.com

D70s | 50 1.4 | 85 1.4 | 18-70 | 70-300 ED | Pinhole | SB800

POTW 24.04.07 - thanks Geoff
spaz

Postby fishafotos on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Get a D80! No question. You will regret getting a D40, I guarantee. The D80 is actually far easier to use than a D40, it is more logical. As opposed to having control over the settings (auto, semi-auto or manual) through a confusing digital interface on the D40, the D80 has some good old fashioned buttons and knobs to twist and press to get the desired result, without ever having to use the main LCD's interface.

I have tried both and although I am biased because I own a D80, I would DEFINATLEY recomend it over the D40s/x.

Just a note about the 10.2mp sensor - The D40x has the same one. Doesn't change the fact you should get a d80 though.

Cheers
Harry
Nikon D80, MB-D80, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, SB-800, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
Various bits of borrowed/stolen glass/speedlights etc. - zero style or taste.

http://harryfisherphotos.smugmug.com
fishafotos

Postby Critter on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:00 pm

I went from a coolpix 5700 to a D80 so I qualified as a dSLR newbie. If you have been using any of the controls on the 5200 other than the auto modes, then you are ready for the D80, it doesn't take long to master the controls, any idiot could do it with a basic understanding of aperture, shutterspeed and film speed.

The lack of inbody focussing motor would stop me from getting a D40/x as my favourite lens is a Nikkor 35mm f/2, and its AF mode wouldnt work on a D40...

But if it appeals, there are a range of lenses that woul ddwork very well with it...

I would buy at least one D40 if I could find a small prime lens that autofocussed on it. It would be a great travel camera for street shots...
Chris
D300 | D80 | 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/2 | 105VR f/2.8 | 18-200VR | SB600 | R1 | GP-1 |
Critter

Postby joey on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 pm

All Nikon DSLRs are pretty much the same in terms of usability. With some degree of variation. Differences: body construction, frame rate, number of MP, ergonomics, type of AF and Metering used. I am talking about the line-up of D40 – D200.

Personally, I would not buy the D40. You won’t be able to AF fixed focal length lenses, many older zoom lenses as well as some 3rd party lenses from Sigma, Tokina, Tamron.

D80 is a good choice. It’s a little expensive since it’s relatively new. Comparing the D80 to D50, the former has its advantages such as 2nd body wheel (to access menu options), newer AF (I don’t know the differences between CAM9000 and CAM10000), pixel count (for me 6MP is plenty), larger LCD, slightly faster frame rate. I would choose the D50 because it’s a very capable entry DSLR camera, it’s not expensive since it’s been discontinued (you can still buy these cameras brand new). The money you save on the D50 can be spent on quality lenses later.

Keep in mind, the digital cameras loose their market value very quickly. In 12 month time, probably, the D80 will cost less than 50% of what you paying for it now.
Look at the D200, at the moment it can be imported for $1700AUS delivery & insurance included. Quality Nikkor lenses will keep their market value well.

If you want to spend $1600-$1700 on a body. I would recommend the D200. Great camera.
Nikons: D200, N80. Nikkors: 20-35 f/2.8 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. Speedlights: SB800.
joey

Postby iGBH on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. It has helped confirm that the D80 is the right camera for me. As has been said, the learning curve will be as steep as i want to make it. I could just leave it in auto but where would the fun be in that. :wink:

That is part of the reason i am wanting to go dslr. I have a minolta slr in the cupboard which doesn't get used much. This is partly because it is such a pita to trial and error with a film slr (imo anyway). At least with digital (and esp. with the D80's brilliant lcd display), I will be able to instantly see the results.

Now, can anyone help out with a rough idea of price.... :lol:
iGBH

Postby Ivanerrol on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm with Joey above - either a D50 or D200. I've had a D80 and D70s.

You can source a body only D80 in Melbourne for around $1,150 or $1,600 with Kit lens. - Just check the famous auction site or you can save up all your posts and get entry into the bargain section( - see terms and conditions of this website).

Getting experience with a DSLR will help you waste less film on your Minolta.
Ivanerrol

Postby iGBH on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:53 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:Getting experience with a DSLR will help you waste less film on your Minolta.

Yep, my logic also - spend $1,500 odd dollars to save a few hundred. :lol:
I will justify the purchase to myself anyway i can. Convincing the wife is another matter....

Ivanerrol wrote:You can source a body only D80 in Melbourne for around $1,150 or $1,600 with Kit lens. - Just check the famous auction site or you can save up all your posts and get entry into the bargain section( - see terms and conditions of this website).

I have been checking out fleabay with interest. It seems actually cheaper to purchase from the US though and the auctions generally include a lot more for the price ie hard case, soft case, tripod, SD cards etc. ie http://tinyurl.com/25b32l

I did see mention that the ballpark price for a D80 with 18-135 lens from poon directly through this forum was around $1,350 although this may have been before recent FX adjustments. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.
iGBH

Postby joey on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:53 pm

iGBH,

If you don't mind getting a factory demo camera, you can buy one from Cameta Camera with 1Gb SD card for around $1000AUS delivered. Plus 1 year US warranty. If you are lucky, you can win one on auction for a little less.

Check this site out:

D80s from Cameta Camera
Nikons: D200, N80. Nikkors: 20-35 f/2.8 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. Speedlights: SB800.
joey

Postby iGBH on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Thanks for the link Joey. I'm surprised there are so many 'factory demo' models. It is tempting to go down this route and save some coin for buying decent lenses.
iGBH

Postby Ivanerrol on Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Some of those Cameta demos are actually warrantee repairs
Ivanerrol

Postby iGBH on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:Some of those Cameta demos are actually warrantee repairs

Interesting. I would of thought warranty repairs would be returned to the purchaser.

It is certainly a tempting way to go, especially with how strong the AUD is at the moment.
iGBH

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:57 am

I can't comment on this particular case but two scenarios come to mind.
1. If the repair will take too long to be reasonable, they may use the replace option, then when the item is finally repaired it would then be sold as second hand.
2. If the spare part is hard to get, a new item may be canibalised for the part. When the replacement part finally arrives, it is put into the new but canibalised item. Sadly this can no longer be sold as new, even though it is to all intents & purposes.

I used to run a PC repair business, and we used both strategies at times.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby iGBH on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:06 am

Certainly sounds feasible. I guess the risk in buying repaired units is that they actually diagnosed the problem properly and not left the inherent fault.
iGBH

Postby Yi-P on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:15 am

I will say that mostly the beginning body you start with, you will keep it for at least one or two years before jumping to the next level in the body.

Having the D80 is more logical, its control, ergonomics and usability is very close to any other Nikon bodies out there. I will hate to say that the D40 is just another P&S with bigger sensor and plenty more functions, but still far away from being a good learning DSLR because of some of its limitations.

The D80, which is mostly about the same price as the D70 as it first came out (or even cheaper), and many here have kept their D70 until now (I did). It is a great body and it certainly will going to last you for a while.

Depends on what sort of paths you going to take with the lens choices, but the D80 will give you the ability to use older AF lenses which is a big plus for you. It is a steeper learning curve with this body, but all of it if you are interested in photography, this is your camera.

If you just need something better quality to replace your Nikon Coolpix, then get the D40, its small enough to become a P&S and yet have DSLR capability and functions that you will use most on a P&S, and beyond that.

Just a side note, don't expect to use all of the camera's function until you are just about to replace it with something better. That is, it needs over a year and up to three years getting around with your camera frequently shooting to know it completely.
Yi-P

Postby iGBH on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:04 am

Yi-P wrote:It is a steeper learning curve with this body, but all of it if you are interested in photography, this is your camera.

If you just need something better quality to replace your Nikon Coolpix, then get the D40, its small enough to become a P&S and yet have DSLR capability and functions that you will use most on a P&S, and beyond that.

Just a side note, don't expect to use all of the camera's function until you are just about to replace it with something better. That is, it needs over a year and up to three years getting around with your camera frequently shooting to know it completely.

I'm certainly not an experienced dSLR user (or really even SLR for that matter) so either way i go there will be a steep learning curve. Having said that, I have already downloaded some excellent e-books and browsed all the tutorials here and am starting to get a good understanding of everything. Of course this will only improve when i actually have dSLR to play with. :?

I'm really enjoying learning about this stuff and as I think has been mentioned before, this is part of the fun - learning new things.

In choosing between the D80 and say a D40, i could see myself outgrowing a D40 within the year. Alternatively, at this point in time i can't see myself ever needing to upgrade from the D80 but I'm sure i will find a reason a few years down the track.

Cheers.
iGBH

Postby Marvin on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:17 am

iGBH wrote:
Alternatively, at this point in time i can't see myself ever needing to upgrade from the D80 but I'm sure i will find a reason a few years down the track.

Cheers.
 LOL That's what we always say. I thought I would never need a camera better than my dad's (less than one megapixel) first digital camera. I swore I would never need more than the D70. I thought the Tamron lens that I bought first would be fine for me. Thousands of dollars later.... :roll:
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby ATJ on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:28 am

I have a D70 and while I have been using SLRs for years, I frequently use my D70 in P&S mode (Auto everything) and it works just fine. This means that you could use the D80 as your only camera even before you learn how to use all its features.
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:46 am

Don't forget, a hobby is defined as:

hob·by –noun, plural -bies. 1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

We all know that this is complete and utter b.......t.

A hobby, such as photography, is simply a means to extract funds from hobbyists to acquire an increasing number of gadgets justified by the argument that the gadgets will be used in "an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation." The hobby of photography goes further as being an activity revolving justifying to one's partner/spouse the need to spend additional funds on an increasing number of gadgets (and, in particular, "upgrading" their gadgets).

The point:

If you buy the D40, it is likely that you will upgrade sooner than if you bought the D80, thereby probably spending twice as much as you would if you had just bought the D80 in the first place.

Bear in mind, I am just being flippant, have not used either camera and have put at bay the need (through lack of ability) to buy any new gear for a few months (although I bought a new film back for wife's Bronica the other week, but that doesn't count as it technically isn't my gear).

P
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby iGBH on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:49 am

Yep, much to my wifes dismay all my hobbies seem to be the expensive ones. I'd hate to think how much money i have spent on gadgets/toys over the years.

Still, gotta do what makes one happy.
iGBH

Postby bwhinnen on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:41 pm

I can't specifically comment on the D80 or the D40. I bought the D70 when it came out.

I had it for almost 3 years before upgrading to a D200. I still have it as a backup body for the D200 and my wife loves to use it as well, she has progressed from Auto to Programmed Auto :)

I don't think anything more simple would be as good to grow with. I never used the scenic modes on the D70, started with Auto and moved on from there. In your case from what I have read here I don't think you'd be satisfied with the D40 and would be looking for it's bigger brother too soon. I know I wanted the D200 when it was first released but resisted and learnt more than I could imagine on the D70. I am glad I did, when I finally got the D200 I was able to apply those lessons learnt and be much happier with my new purchase :)
bwhinnen

Postby sky on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:01 am

It seems you might have already made your mind up! Good on you -- go for the d80!
There's some great feedback in this thread from the DSLRusers members, I know they were a real help when I was buying my first camera (I've detailed my obsession and the agonising wait for the d80 in the summer chimp magazine!).

The Nikon Coolpix 5200 was my first ever digital camera (used at work), which was then upgraded to the 5700 18 months later, and then the d70.

With an interest in cameras and a bit of spare time to fiddle around and experiement, you'll have no probs upgrading from the 5200 to the d80. I love my d80, and happily recommend it.
sky

Postby binky on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:53 pm

If you think you will outgrow the D40 in a year, it would probably be better to get the D80 wouldn't it ?

hmm come to think of it , I remember paying a lot for my coolpix995 ..almost the same cost as a DSLR body today.
binky

Postby iGBH on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Yep, have my heart and mind set on the D80 now. Just got to wait a little longer to save up a bit more $$ and hopefully the exchange rate will stay favourable during this time. Plan is to buy something within the next month.
iGBH

Postby Grev on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:26 am

Good choice, the D80 would serve you well. I think the D80 is on par if not better than the D200, but that's just my opinion.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby iGBH on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:18 pm

Grev wrote:Good choice, the D80 would serve you well. I think the D80 is on par if not better than the D200, but that's just my opinion.

That was what i thought also. For the additional cost of the D200, i didn't see any real benefit, especially with the type of photography i will be doing.

Plus, the additional size and weight of the D200 makes it less than ideal for bushwalking. This would be about the only good feature of the D40 for my use as it is significantly smaller and lighter.
iGBH

Postby joey on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:11 pm

The D200 is a better unit. It has well sealed body with excellent ergonomics, max shutter of 1/8000, 5fps and will meter when mounted with older AI-S lenses. All these features will cost you extra $500.
joey

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions