Expodisk / Clone?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Expodisk / Clone?

Postby Nikkofan on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi Guys

I'm thinking of getting an Expodisk but couldn't find it on ebay. However, I saw this one instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/77mm-White-Balan ... dZViewItem

The brand is "Mennon" and it is, of course, made in China. They are considerably cheaper than the real Expodisk but with the "you get what you pay for" thought in mind, have any of you used one or have any comments re these?

Thanks all
Nikon D70, Nikon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 17-55mm, Nikon 85mm, Nikon 24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Tamron 70-300, SB800, SB28, LSPJ
Nikkofan

Postby fozzie on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:21 pm

Nikkofan - you can purchase 'Expodisk' from the following distributors in Australia or order online: the choice is yours.

Australia Distributors:

http://www.expodisc.com/wheretobuy/loca ... =australia

Online:

https://www.expodisc.com/wheretobuy/buy_online.php

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Nikkofan on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:37 am

Thanks for that Fozzie, I've already checked those sites out.

I was wondering though if anyone has had any experience with the other (cheaper) ones.
Nikon D70, Nikon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 17-55mm, Nikon 85mm, Nikon 24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Tamron 70-300, SB800, SB28, LSPJ
Nikkofan

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:11 am

They are so cheap from China that buying and trying would not bust anybodies budget. Considering that people have used Pringle et al caps to do the job I would say give them a go :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby apsilon on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:19 pm

Exactly, they're cheap enough that it's worth a try. The before and after shot is worth it for the comedy value alone.

I didn't think of it last night and have deleted them now but I had some shots that I took yesterday that showed significant difference between the D200 auto WB and the WB I set using the expodisc. It's the first time I've seen any significant difference, other times the auto was always "good enough" but I'm getting into the habbit of using the expodisc more and more. I hadn't used the D200 in those overcast conditions before but I was surprised to say the least.
apsilon

Postby DaveB on Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:28 pm

I lashed out and bought one of these cheap devices. When it gets here I'll give it a good test and report back on the results.
I usually use a WhiBal for my WB and will be able to compare with that. Also I should be able to measure how neutral the Mennon disk is with my i1 gear.
DaveB

Postby DaveB on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:53 pm

It turned up in the post today. It's been added to the list of products I have to review (including the Maha MH-C9000 battery charger which I'll be testing beside my LaCrosse BC-900) and I hope to get to them at the end of this week.
DaveB

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions