Lens Difference

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Lens Difference

Postby beej on Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi all,

Sorry for the stupid question, but is there any difference between a Telephoto Lens and a Zoom Lens?

Cheers
beej

Postby AlistairF on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:04 pm

Hi beej, No question is ever too stupid, just that you have the courage to ask it.

A telephoto lens has a fixed magnification while a zoom lens can be adjusted in and out to vary its magnification.

Alistair
AlistairF

Postby beej on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:17 pm

Makes sense,

Thanks Alistair.
beej

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:43 pm

AlistairF wrote:Hi beej, No question is ever too stupid, just that you have the courage to ask it.

A telephoto lens has a fixed magnification while a zoom lens can be adjusted in and out to vary its magnification.

Alistair

Alistair is absolutely right beej but you will also notice that you can have wide angle zooms because, for example, the zoom might be 12-24. Conversley you can have telephoto zooms such as 200-400VR.

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:01 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Conversley you can have telephoto zooms such as 200-400VR.

Chris

Can I? My birthday's soon! :D

Was just having a look at Maxwell's for the RRP of the VR lenses. Lucky I wasn't drinking at the time or I would have sprayed my monitor with some very fine Scotch. No, not wine - who wants to drink grape juice that's gone off? Much better to have some carefully prepared and well purified essence of barley, flavoured to perfection with a fine peat!
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:08 pm

skippy wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:Conversley you can have telephoto zooms such as 200-400VR.

Chris

Can I? My birthday's soon! :D

Was just having a look at Maxwell's for the RRP of the VR lenses. Lucky I wasn't drinking at the time or I would have sprayed my monitor with some very fine Scotch. No, not wine - who wants to drink grape juice that's gone off? Much better to have some carefully prepared and well purified essence of barley, flavoured to perfection with a fine peat!

Isle of Islay single malt I hope

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:19 pm

Mindreader!

A friend at work had someone come back from the UK with a special edition Lagavulin that I get to sample. Will be added to my collection of 'normal' Lagavulin, Laphroig and Ardbeg.

The Speysides have a certain charm though. Tried the Aberlour a'bunadh?
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:34 pm

skippy wrote:Mindreader!

A friend at work had someone come back from the UK with a special edition Lagavulin that I get to sample. Will be added to my collection of 'normal' Lagavulin, Laphroig and Ardbeg.

The Speysides have a certain charm though. Tried the Aberlour a'bunadh?

Skippy - no I have not tried the Aberlour a'bunadh. I just love the peat taste of the Islay malts. I made Laphroig my favourite for about 15 years - I even bought a couple of cut crystal glasses especially for my own use. In fact those glasses were so special that when my last lady came to live with me I said everything I had was hers except for the glasses! She left me.

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:56 pm

sirhc55 wrote:In fact those glasses were so special that when my last lady came to live with me I said everything I had was hers except for the glasses! She left me.

Chris

What on earth for? :shock: Just shows she had a tenuous hold on reality!
skippy

Postby wile_E on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Do those whiskeys go well with Coke??

:twisted:
wile_E

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:49 pm

Aahhh!

Sorry, but heresy on the forum should get you blacklisted. Moderator? :P :twisted:
skippy

Postby MHD on Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:16 pm

It is all really a matter of definition and is based on the 35mm film standard (so is slightly off for the 2/3 of 35mm standard for the D70)

Standard, Aprox equal to 50mm: This lens, when put on a 35mm SLR camera has about the same angular view as the human eye.

Wide angle, less than 50mm: Has a wider angle of view than the human eye, when you look through the view finder the image apears smaller than when viewed with the unaided eye. Wide angle lenses are usefull for landscapes, crowds etc...

Telephoto, greater than 50mm: Has a narrower angle of view than the human eye, when you look through the view finder the image apeares magnified when compared to what is seen with the unaided eye... Good for shoulder and head portraits, Birds, sports, getting a safe distance away from action ;)

Now a zoom lens can cover a range of categories, or might only cover one (ie be a very specific lens)

For example, suprise suprise, the kit lens goes from wide angle, at 18mm, through normal at 50mm, out to telephoto at 80mm. Another example would be the very large telephoto zoom the birddog owns which goes from 200-400mm (telephoto to super telephoto)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby lejazzcat on Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:28 pm

MHD wrote:Standard, Aprox equal to 50mm: This lens, when put on a 35mm SLR camera has about the same angular view as the human eye.

Apparently women have a much wider angle of focus than men .
Men, notoriously have a tunnel vision, and hence have to eye a women up and down to "check her out".
Women can hold your gaze, and still be checking out your package! :)
lejazzcat

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:37 pm

Naahhh, we just concentrate more on what we're doing. :D
skippy

Postby beej on Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Thanks MHD. That helped.

Now i just need to get my hands on one of those 200-400VR zooms or a fine bottle of scotch.
beej

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:30 am

skippy wrote:Aahhh!

Sorry, but heresy on the forum should get you blacklisted. Moderator? :P :twisted:

Isn't whiskey spelled with that "e" in there anyway? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:32 am

beej wrote:Thanks MHD. That helped.

Now i just need to get my hands on one of those 200-400VR zooms or a fine bottle of scotch.

Come down to Birddog's this morning, and you can do both.

Welcome to the forums, Beej.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions