Teleconverters

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Teleconverters

Postby r2160 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi all

Just wondering whether you guys believe that teleconverters are all they are cracked up to be.

I have heard many things about them in the past, not the least of which is that they may increase the lens by the converter amount but they distort the image (make noise or grainier).

What do you guys think?

Glenn
I finally got one!
D70, 18-70, 70-300, 24-120 VR, SB800
r2160

Re: Teleconverters

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:49 pm

r2160 wrote:Hi all

Just wondering whether you guys believe that teleconverters are all they are cracked up to be.

I have heard many things about them in the past, not the least of which is that they may increase the lens by the converter amount but they distort the image (make noise or grainier).

What do you guys think?

Glenn

Glenn,
The TC-14 & 17 are quite good, say top range, the TC-20 is quite soft with some range and lenses, it never distort the image and no noise or grainer.
The TC-20 is not recommend to use with 200-400VR, it's Ok with the 70-200 but not tack sharp. Please visit the following link:

http://www.moose395.net/gear/200-400.html
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

tc's

Postby Coolhand on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Have just ordered a Tc-17, the initial data looks very good, getting 1,7x mag and only 1.5 stop loss, can't wait to try it out.

have been reading about various ways to test lenses simply. does any body know where to get/download a test pattern or similar to the ones they use of dpreview? and how would someone go about testing - ideally wide open and closed down?
Coolhand was here
Coolhand

Postby fozzie on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:20 pm

Late last week I received my new TC-17EII, and on Sunday fitted to the 70-200VR and did not miss a beat. No noise, and sharp no 'VERY SHARP'.

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

tc's

Postby Coolhand on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 pm

fozzie, sounds like your VERY happy. does the VR work as well with the tc attached and as i would prorbaly shoot the 70-200 hand held most of the time did u find the extra length a bit daunting/unweildy?
Coolhand was here
Coolhand

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:32 pm

Coolhand
Just tape up a page of the Hereald classified ads and photograph it from a tripod at different f/stops. This will show you which f/stops are sharpest and which are a little soft. Make sure the camera back is squared up to the page.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:34 pm

Matt. K wrote:Coolhand
Just tape up a page of the Hereald classified ads and photograph it from a tripod at different f/stops. This will show you which f/stops are sharpest and which are a little soft. Make sure the camera back is squared up to the page.

Matt.K,
You have to tell clearly, where's to tape up a page of the newspaper?
On the brickwall?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Re: tc's

Postby fozzie on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:38 pm

Coolhand,

Coolhand wrote:fozzie, sounds like your VERY happy. does the VR work as well with the tc attached and as i would prorbaly shoot the 70-200 hand held most of the time did u find the extra length a bit daunting/unweildy?

I used it hand held with no difficulty. Also did not notice any real difference between stand a lone or fitted. Although it was a sunny day with no cloud cover and in the high 20's. Irrespective, I am more than pleased, actually :D :D :D .

Here are the specifications for your guidance:

http://www.maxwell.com.au/products/niko ... 17eii.html

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions